Screentime Column

The new ‘Ted’ show outshines the movies it spins-off

Daily Orange File Illustration

Seth MacFarlane’s “Ted” Peacock series is inspired by the “Ted” and “Ted 2” movies. The show is filled with captivating story arcs and light-hearted laughs.

When I first heard Peacock released a spinoff show based on the mediocre Ted (2012) and Ted 2 (2015) movies, I didn’t bat an eye. On paper, the prequel set in the ‘90s about the movie duo’s adolescence and time in school didn’t seem that interesting.

However, after seeing positive reviews and clips online, I decided to give the show a chance. While I did find the 2010s movies to be forgettable, the character of Ted, the R-rated teddy bear, is not.

Both the show and the movies are the works of director Seth MacFarlane, who is known for animated hit shows “Family Guy” and “American Dad!” “Ted” tells the story of its titular bear, Ted (MacFarlane), and his best friend John Bennett (Max Burkholder), who wished him to life as a child, as a ‘90s family sitcom that incorporates a likable and compelling ensemble cast including John’s parents and cousin.

The family sitcom better suits Ted’s ridiculous character by surrounding him with other, more serious, important characters and plotlines. The movies rely too much on the silliness of Ted to carry scenes and storylines, resulting in absurd settings and laughs with little emotional weight. The show, however, builds other investing stories around Ted and John.

The show’s biggest surprise is its character-driven nature, which at times had me more invested in other characters than the main duo. John’s parents Matty Bennett (Scott Grimes), a working-class dad with insensitive views, and Susan Bennett (Alanna Ubach), a stay-at-home mom, both have compelling emotional character arcs.

The final member of the Bennett family is Blaire (Giorgia Whigham), John’s cousin. Blaire’s character initially comes across as overbearing but becomes the emotional heartbeat of the show as her views challenge Matty and Susan’s conventional lifestyles.

Like in the movies, Ted is funny. His humor is seen in his facial expressions, terrible advice, the silly way he moves and the quippy back-and-forth banter between him and John. Unlike the movies, which heavily rely on John and Ted’s dynamic to push the story forward, the show is a more complete story because comedy is not the only focus.

By the end of the show’s seven-episode run, I was seriously captivated by Blaire, Matty and Susan’s stories. Each character had arcs that light-heartedly, yet effectively, addressed topics like gender norms and marriage.

In one plotline, Matty finds out that Blaire is gay, and immediately rejects her for it. However, seeing how Ted and the family react brings Matty to reconcile with his views. Eventually, he makes a genuine effort to accept Blaire and apologizes after he realizes that his family’s happiness matters more than anything else. The change Matty undergoes in storylines focused on his views and at times unhealthy marriage came as a surprise; I was not expecting this level of emotional payoff in a show about a living teddy bear.

The show takes itself seriously enough to navigate these stories but still leaves plenty of time for laughs. Every character in the ensemble gets comedic moments, including a hilarious scene involving Blaire sneaking into the operating room for Matty’s colonoscopy (at Matty’s request).

The main duo has the best moments, both in movie-trope scenes of the two playing video games and trying drugs and in newer jokes like one involving the two catfishing their bully as his absent father. (I know, dark.)

Speaking of the movies, the show does reuse a few jokes from the films. They are unique enough in execution, but I wish the show cut some of them to pursue more original material.

“Ted” is the under-the-radar surprise of 2024 so far. The fun, memorable jokes and heart-filled family dynamic propel it over its source material and left me with an appetite for more Ted content, a feeling I never thought I’d have.