SHA launches free broadband internet service in partnership with city of Syracuse

The pilot intends to serve low-income and underserved communities in 10 census tracts on the south, southwest and near west sides of the city of Syracuse.

In an effort to expand digital access across Syracuse, the Syracuse Housing Authority launched a Community Broadband Program Pilot on Monday in partnership with the city of Syracuse as a part of the Syracuse Surge initiative.

The pilot program will provide free broadband internet service, branded as Surge Link, to 2,500 households in the city, including residents of SHA properties, in order to address the community’s digital divide.

“25% of our residents currently do not have access to internet, so this will be a great investment in the infrastructure for the lives of so many who are disconnected from the community,” said Bill Simmons, executive director of SHA.

Mayor Ben Walsh and Simmons held a launch event at SHA’s James Geddes Housing Development Monday morning to ceremonially “connect” Surge Link and to provide information to income-eligible residents on how to apply for the no-cost internet service.

The program, funded by the Biden administration’s American Rescue Plan Act, intends to serve low-income and underserved communities in 10 census tracts on the south, southwest and near west sides of the city, according to a release from SHA. Nearly 40% of American adults with household incomes below $30,000 do not have access to broadband service, according to a 2021 study from the Pew Research Center.

To facilitate the city’s wireless networks, SHA is implementing a broadband network center at Toomey Abbott Towers and at the James Geddes Housing Development at 338 Gifford Street, according to SHA’s release.

The Syracuse Common Council has previously worked with Community Broadband Networks, a Geneva, NY-based internet service provider, to expand internet access and improve digital equity. Their partnership started when councilors voted to allocate $3.5 million in ARPA funding for the Community Broadband Program in March.

One-third of students in the Syracuse City School District currently lack high-speed internet at home, according to a March press release about the broadband funding initiative from the city of Syracuse.

“It’s a major problem for our young people because without internet access at home, they often only have it in the classroom,” Simmons said. “This access will allow them to do their homework and other kinds of class projects from home.”

Simmons said the expanded internet access from SHA’s new pilot program will especially benefit the elderly and people with disabilities.

“It allows so many of our seniors not to be isolated, have access to medical care in their homes and it provides so much service to the disabled,” Simmons said.

Residents are eligible for the service if their income falls at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or if they currently receive public assistance from programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children or Supplemental Security Income.

Families with children approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school meal programs and current Pell Grant recipients can also qualify, according to syracuse.com.

“You really can’t function without infrastructure,” Simmons said. “You really can’t be connected to your community and thrive without the internet.”