Student Association

Student Association inaugurates 19 new members, approves new member to Finance Board

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

13 out of 19 of the members were sworn in on Monday. The new members will learn about SA's operations and join one of their committees.

Syracuse University’s Student Association inaugurated 19 new members in its Monday meeting following last week’s election, which saw a 2.8% student body voter turnout.

Aldrick Cade, the chief justice of SA’s Supreme Court, opened the meeting by swearing in the winning candidates, with 13 of the 19 elected in attendance. Following their appointment, SA leaders enthusiastically guided the new members through the proceedings of a typical meeting.

“Whatever you want to do in this organization, we can do,” said Will Treloar, SA’s president, as he addressed the new members.

Treloar also said he wants the new members to be involved with as many events as possible to facilitate their integration into the organization.

Following their swearing-in, the new members will undergo an orientation period to learn about SA’s operations and join one of its several committees. Each SA committee leader promoted their committee and encouraged the newly-elected members to join during the meeting.

Luis Gomez, one of SA’s new first-year representatives, said that while he was initially unfamiliar with the SA election process, he is excited to serve SU’s student body after interacting with several students on Instagram, where he posted his campaign poster leading up to the vote.

“I can’t wait to be the helping hand behind all the events Syracuse University students enjoy every single day,” Gomez said.

Kate Richter, another new first-year representative, said she decided to campaign for a position as soon as she heard about the opportunity and became more invested as campaigning continued.

“I would definitely encourage people to run in the future,” Richter said. “The election process was actually really fun.”

The meeting concluded with a vote to appoint a new member to the SA Finance Board. SA unanimously appointed Emmy Njue, a junior finance major, to the position.

SA’s Comptroller Dylan France advocated for Njue’s addition to the Finance Board, which filled the board’s final vacancy.

“One of the things she stressed in her interview was the difference between subjectivity versus objectivity,” France said. “She was also a very qualified candidate.”

Other business:

• SA is currently holding its Mental Health Awareness Week in the Schine Student Center. The event culminates in an “Amped Up for Mental Health” benefit concert on Oct. 5, featuring student artists Accountant and All Thumbs, Bella Fiske and Nancy Dunkle.
  • SA promoted Calentón, the university’s first annual Latin music festival, which will be held on Oct. 14 at 7:00 p.m.
  • Two representatives from SU’s Office of Academic Affairs — Naimah Rahman, a lead student ambassador in SU’s shared competencies, and Amanda Johnson Sanguiliano, SU’s associate director for institutional effectiveness — promoted a new feature on the ‘Cuse Activities site that allows registered student organizations to tag upcoming events with the university’s shared competencies learning goals.
  • SA leaders encouraged students to participate in the Syracuse Food Services Catering poll, which accepts feedback from anyone who has utilized the service.
  • The SA Financial Board said advance allocation requests for RSOs are due on Nov. 3. SA introduced 21 semester allocations and approved 10 of them during this meeting.