SU cancels Middle Eastern studies scholar teach-in event due to safety concerns

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

SU's Department of Public Safety determined the event could not be held as scheduled for Tuesday afternoon due to safety concerns.

Syracuse University officials canceled a planned Middle Eastern studies teach-in, Chancellor Kent Syverud and Vice Chancellor Gretchen Ritter wrote in a campus-wide email Tuesday.

The event – which would have hosted a Middle Eastern studies scholar Tuesday afternoon for a teach-in – was organized by a faculty member and student groups, according to the email. The faculty member informed SU’s Department of Public Safety of the event yesterday due to safety concerns.

The event was planned as a teach-in about the occupation of Palestine with Rabab Abdulhadi, an associate professor of ethnic studies at San Francisco State University. SU’s Department of African American Studies helped organize it, along with the Black Graduate Student Network and the African Graduate Student Association at SU.

After working with local and federal law enforcement officials to determine how to safely host the event, DPS and SU decided to cancel the teach-in. Syverud and Ritter cited concerns around the safety of the event attendees, speaker and entire campus.

“We support those seeking to become better informed about important public issues, such as the conflict in the Middle East,” Syverud and Ritter wrote. “However, in the current environment, it is vital that all of us plan carefully and in advance to ensure free speech also occurs in a time, place and manner that takes into account the safety and security of our whole community.”

The university is currently working to reschedule the event, according to the email.

This story will be updated with additional reporting.