Baseball

SU alumni Ivan Traczuk, Biko Skalla have found their dream job with the Savannah Bananas

Courtesy of Ivan Traczuk

Ivan Traczuk (left) and Biko Skalla (right) pose with Newhouse professor Olivia Stomski (middle) during a panel conversation on Sep. 13.

Bill LeRoy entered the batter’s box wearing a Santa Claus costume as Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” blasted over the loudspeakers.

LeRoy popped a fly ball into center field on the second pitch he faced and Reese Hampton, the center fielder for the opposing Party Animals, caught the effort while performing a backflip.

In quick succession, two events that have probably never taken place in baseball played out on Thursday night at NBT Bank Stadium. The Savannah Bananas were in town.

Ivan Traczuk and Biko Skalla are tasked with communicating the Bananas’ on-field madness, like LeRoy’s fly-out, to over 11 million combined social media followers. Traczuk is the Bananas’ Director of Creative Content and Skalla is the Broadcast Entertainer. Both are Syracuse University alumni in the midst of the team’s 33-city, 22-state, 87-game Banana Ball World Tour. Traczuk estimates that the sold-out crowds have equated to over 500,000 fans.

“(Social media) is very important, it’s our bread and butter,” Traczuk said.

• • •

Skalla and Traczuk knew of each other at SU but grew close when working together at the MLB Network as Associate Producers. Both quickly decided it wasn’t what they wanted to do for the rest of their careers. In Sep. 2019, Traczuk moved to Los Angeles and Skalla joined the Bananas in June 2020.

“It was a very unique opportunity,” Skalla said. “I applied virtually, interviewed virtually… got the job, got a 2.5-month contract and packed all my things and drove down to Savannah.”

The Bananas’ job description was simple. Each applicant needed three skills. They had to be personable and relatable, well-versed about the Bananas and the most entertaining broadcaster ever. Skalla remembered it was a listing unlike anything he ever saw.

Originally, Skalla viewed the job with the Bananas as a stepping stone to broadcasting minor league baseball. Now, Skalla is in his third year with the Bananas and has no plans of looking for a new job.

When Skalla learned the team was looking for a Director of Creative Content, he knew Traczuk was the perfect candidate. He recommended Traczuk and the rest was history.

“The more and more I thought about it, it’s like, man, this is the exact opportunity that I’ve been looking for, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing,” Traczuk said.

• • •

The Savannah Bananas are seen by many as the Harlem Globetrotters of baseball. While the Bananas put on a show like the Globetrotters, it is Traczuk and Skalla’s job to legitimize “Banana Ball” as a competitive outing while still providing fans with the “best show in sports.”

In order to execute this, Skalla and the broadcast team have to be prepared. Like any other on-air MLB talent, Skalla integrates advanced analytics, like ERA+, OPS+ and spray chart trends into his play-by-play. But along with an impeccable knowledge of the game, Skalla adds a healthy dose of fun in the booth. In the eyes of Josh Talevski, Skalla’s broadcast partner, it’s what makes Skalla the perfect Broadcast Entertainer.

“He’s been around for such a long time that he is the storyteller of Banana Ball,” Talevski said. “… He understands the evolution from where (Banana Ball) started to where we are now. He’s seen the progression of the sport and the show as well.”

While Skalla might serve as the face and voice of the Bananas, Traczuk’s content ideas reach millions around the world on social media.

Traczuk was named the Director of Creative Content in 2022. Three months after starting in his role, Traczuk helped the Bananas more than triple their TikTok following to 3 million followers. Currently sitting at 7.5 million followers, the Bananas have more followers on TikTok than the Major League Baseball account and every MLB team.

“We have rehearsals multiple times a day and that’s where (Traczuk) and I really work together,” said Chris Saachi, Bananas “Video Legend” and fellow SU alumni. According to Sacchi, the Bananas thoroughly rehearse every ‘act’ before games to make sure it’s content-worthy.

In April, an idea was proposed in an “Over The Top” meeting that a pitcher should pitch with a lacrosse stick in a game. Traczuk instantly knew the proposal could only be carried out in Syracuse — the home of a collegiate record 10 Men’s Lacrosse NCAA Championships.

However, just as Skalla’s commentary balances information with inserts of humor to engage the listener, the Bananas strategically place their antics in low-leverage situations, making sure the outcome of the game isn’t affected. With two outs in the top of the sixth inning, and the Bananas down 2-0 in the frame, relief pitcher Nick Alo brought a lacrosse stick and helmet to the mound. He painted the outside corner, forcing Jason Swan to fly out to right field. An inning later, with two outs and the inning tied, the Bananas brought on Dakota Albritton, who sauntered onto the field on 10-foot stilts.

For years now, the Bananas have excited fans with one-of-a-kind baseball entertainment. Yet, what goes under the radar is the work of Traczuk and Skalla behind the scenes to create the spectacle.

“I care about (the players’) stories so much and the reason why I’m trying to pull their teeth and get all this information is because I want to tell their story right,” Skalla said. “I want to make sure that folks understand who these players are and their journey to Banana Land.”