Graduate Students

GSO hosts annual Town Hall meeting, discusses open positions and goals for the year

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

The Graduate Student Organization held its first meeting of the semester and discussed its focuses and goals for the upcoming year, including elections for several GSO positions and hosting more diverse events.

Syracuse University’s Graduate Student Organization held its first meeting of the fall semester on Wednesday to discuss the group’s main goals and announce open positions.

GSO’s Vice President of Internal Affairs CJ Arnell, along with the rest of the GSO executive board, defined the main goal of the GSO to be giving graduate students a voice at SU.

“We are an organization based around all graduate students, and we want to make sure that what we do reflects on what you guys want,” Arnell said to the approximately 25 graduate students gathered in Maxwell Auditorium.

GSO members said they need to fill several positions for this academic year, including Recording Secretary, Communications Secretary, Financial Secretary, University Senators, 5 At-Large Senators and committee members such as Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility Chairs.

Daniel Kimmel, GSO’s president, said GSO will hold elections for these positions at the first GSO Senate meeting on Sept. 6 at 5:30 p.m.

External Vice President Alexandra Scrivner encouraged graduate students to take advantage of the Professional, Academic and Creative Work Grant. Scrivner said the GSO allocated more than $74,000 of the grant last fiscal year.

The travel grants are awarded on the basis of merit, and are intended to partially reimburse transportation, lodging, registration and membership experience, Scrivner said.

Scrivner said the GSO wants to diversify the events it holds this semester to better represent and engage the diverse graduate student body. She also announced that GSO will no longer regularly fund the Inn Complete as they have in the past years. The Inn Complete, a social club on South Campus for graduate students, faculty and staff, is currently temporarily closed for construction.

GSO will hold in-person meetings this semester every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in the Maxwell Auditorium. It will host its Annual Fall Picnic for graduate students on Sept. 8 at the Women’s Building Field.