GSO president faces articles of impeachment, given 48 hours to step down

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

GSO senators presented Dhaouadi with the articles of impeachment, in which they allege she acted in an "undemocratic" way by restricting debate, while Dhaouadi claims she was trying to encourage discussion of concerns over unionization.

A group of Syracuse University Graduate Student Organization senators have presented GSO President Yousr Dhaouadi with articles of impeachment, Dhaouadi announced in a Monday email to GSO.

Dhaouadi, who has served as GSO president for two terms while pursuing her Ph.D. at SU, attached the articles of impeachment to the email, in which the 10 senators alleged she was acting in an “undemocratic” way by restricting debate.

The articles of impeachment, delivered last week, included an allowance for Dhaouadi to step down within 48 hours of their receipt before the impeachment proceeding would continue, she wrote.

Syracuse Graduate Employees United, who have been organizing with the goal of getting SU to recognize the union, released a statement following the letter that reads, in part: “This is an internal GSO matter that the SGEU organizing committee has no position nor involvement in this process. We respect the internal processes of that body. As a reminder, the GSO senators voted overwhelmingly, 49-2, to support a resolution in support of our union campaign on February 1st.”

GSO will hold a meeting to discuss forming an impeachment committee on Friday at 5:30 p.m., according to the letter.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Yousr Dhaouadi has served as the Graduate Student Organization president for five years. Dhaouadi has been a member of the GSO for five years, but is in her second term serving as president. The Daily Orange regrets this error. A previous version of this article also contained several claims that were unsubstantiated. The Daily Orange regrets this error and will update this post with further reporting.