Graduate Students

SGEU advocates for unionization of SU’s Graduate Student Organization

Leanne Rivera | Contributing Photographer

A union election would be triggered by 50-60% of cards given to GSO being signed, prompting an election overseen by SU and the National Labor Relations Board.

Members of Syracuse Graduate Employees United spoke to Syracuse University’s Graduate Student Organization to discuss unionization at the body’s meeting Wednesday.

Cassidy Thomas and Tali Datskovsky spoke on behalf of SGEU about the possibility of unionizing the GSO. Graduate student unions have already organized across the country at institutions such as Columbia University and SGEU hopes to replicate that at SU, the two said, and SUNY-ESF graduate students are currently unionized.

“It’s important to establish some baseline workplace and employment protections for graduate students,” Thomas said. “The biggest benefit of a union is just ensuring that graduate employees actually have a legally protected right to negotiate for better wages and workplace conditions.”

To trigger a union election, which would be overseen by SU and the National Labor Relations Board, 50-60% of cards given to GSO would need to be signed.

Later in the meeting, GSO Senate members voted on a new senator at-large to represent the graduate student body, attend all meetings and serve on a chosen committee. They chose Margil Gandhi, who said he hopes to serve on the outreach committee. Gandhi founded a travel business prior to becoming a graduate student, which he believes gives him leadership experience.

“I’ve been handling a leadership position and this is why I feel I’ve been doing a pretty good job in doing that,” Gandhi said. “I will continue to do this at Syracuse if given an opportunity.”

GSO then addressed special funding requests for the Geology GSO and Mathematics GSO in a vote. Mathematics GSO originally requested $8,365, but due to funding restrictions the amount was reduced by $1,000. The graduate student Chess Club was awarded an additional $300, increasing its start-up funding to $600.

GSO then reminded members that they will be holding a “A Night Under the Stars” gala on April 22 at the SKY Armory. Transportation will be provided and more details will be released at a later date.

The next meeting will be held on March 23 at a new location, Lyman Hall 132, where meetings will be held for the rest of semester.