Graduate Students

Graduate Student Organization leaders discuss plans for spring semester

Ambre Winfrey | Contributing Writer

The space will be in room 122 of Lyman Hall. Next week, graduate students will be able to meet there in person during office hours and over Zoom as needed.

Syracuse University’s Graduate Student Organization Senate announced its new graduate student space on campus during their meeting Wednesday.

The space will be in room 122 of Lyman Hall, according to GSO President Yousr Dhaouadi. Next week, graduate students will be able to meet there in person during office hours and over Zoom as needed.

The organization has negotiated with Peter Vanable, the dean of the Graduate School, to allocate some of the university’s COVID-19 relief funds to increase the amount of dissertation fellowships given out in summer 2022, Dhaouadi said.

The fellowship previously covered about 40% of requests. Following the negotiation between the GSO and the graduate school, the funds will now be able to cover about 75%, Dhaouadi said.

Another goal of GSO this semester is to open graduate Summer Dissertation Fellowship applications sooner. Typically, students apply for the summer fellowship in March or April, but GSO is working to have the applications open in February, Dhaouadi said.

Dhaouadi is also looking to negotiate with the university to receive more subsidized housing for graduate students or, at least, give them cheaper, off-campus alternatives, she said.

GSO Comptroller Joy Burton said the finance committee proposed a rollover fund presentation for Vanable over the winter break. The committee proposed using 50% of existing rollover funds to supplement the organization’s budget. Although the committee has not been given a green light, they are optimistic a deal will be made, Burton said.

CJ Arnell, a senator at large and a doctoral student in biology, asked when graduate students can expect to have housing that would accommodate their families during the meeting’s open forum. Dhaouadi said she is willing to speak with Vanable to push for some change or even more affordable housing.

Michael Ammoury, a doctoral student in civil engineering, asked about GSO’s plan to promote more culturally inclusive events during the upcoming semester.

Vice President of External Affairs Brittnee Johnson said she’s working diligently to host organized events that are inclusive to everyone. The organization encourages any suggestions that students have to offer, Johnson said.

Daniel Kimmel, GSO’s vice president of internal affairs, concluded the meeting by encouraging graduate students to express their concerns in the open forums and even outside of meetings.

“Don’t be afraid to bring initiatives to us,” Kimmel said. “My door is always open, and the e-board feels the same.”