SU abroad

SU allocates $1 million in financial aid to abroad summer program

Grants of up to $9,000 will be available to students exhibiting financial need, while eligible students may apply for an additional $1,000 in merit aid.

Syracuse University has allocated over $1 million in financial aid for students pursuing summer study abroad programs, the university announced Wednesday.

The funding will support undergraduate students in several need-based categories and will make SU Abroad summer programs more financially accessible to students, according to an SU News release.

“This generous and unprecedented funding to support summer study abroad has been put in place in direct response to feedback from students, parents, faculty and staff,” said Erika Wilkens, SU Abroad director and associate provost, in the release.

Grants of up to $9,000 will be available to students in financial need, according to the release. Eligible students pursuing a summer abroad program can also apply for several $1,000 merit-based scholarships by Jan. 30. A selection committee will review the applicants and determine award recipients, per the release.

“Summer is now a much more viable option for all students,” Wilkens said. “We are very excited that more students will now have the opportunity to experience our fantastic faculty-led programs, as well as our center summer sessions.”

A “generous” donor has provided an additional $50,000 in financial aid for students applying to SU Abroad’s Paris Noir program, which explores the influence of black art and culture in the French capital.