SU selects 2019-20 Remembrance Scholars

Two students from Lockerbie, Scotland, were also selected to study at SU next year.

Syracuse University announced the 35 students chosen to be Remembrance Scholars for the 2019-20 academic year on Monday.

Scholarships are awarded annually to rising seniors in honor of the 35 students who died in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103. The students onboard were returning home from studying abroad when the plane exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270 people.

In applying for the $5,000 scholarship, prospective recipients submitted an essay and an additional piece of creative work for consideration by SU’s Remembrance Scholar Selection Committee. The committee consists of this year’s Remembrance Scholars as well as SU faculty and staff.

A convocation will be held in Hendricks Chapel on Oct. 25 to recognize the new Remembrance Scholars, according to a Monday SU News release.

Brodi Chambers and Rowan Chisholm, two students from Lockerbie, Scotland, have also been chosen to study at SU next year through the Syracuse-Lockerbie Scholarships, a jointly-funded financial award given each year by SU and the Lockerbie Trust.

Here are the 2019-20 Remembrance Scholars:

• Hassina Adams, an international relations major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Adam Bayer, an information management and technology and philosophy dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Mamoudou Camara, a policy studies and political science dual major
  • Gabrielle Caracciolo, a broadcast journalism and political science dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Sarah Crawford, a public relations and writing and rhetoric dual major and member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Lauren Crimmins, a psychology and public relations dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Michael DiNardo, a supply chain management and psychology dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Charlene Fowajuh, a psychology major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Erin Gavle, a newspaper and online journalism major
  • Julia Gregoire, a communication sciences and disorders and neuroscience dual major
  • Cleo Hamilton, a sport management major
  • Ahlam Islam, a citizenship and civic engagement and sociology dual major
  • Taylor Krzeminski, a citizenship and civic engagement and international relations dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Rachel Lange, a biochemistry major
  • Joann Li, a broadcast and digital journalism and information management and technology dual major
  • Marshall Lipsey, a political science and psychology dual major
  • Sabrina Maggiore, a broadcast and digital journalism and political science dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program.
  • Alizée Mclorg, a neuroscience and public health dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Bethany Murphy, an environmental engineering major
  • Molly Murphy, a social work major
  • Hanna Nichols, a citizenship and civic engagement and policy studies dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Francesca Ortega, a television, radio and film major
  • Anna Poe, a citizenship and civic engagement and international relations dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Daniel Preciado, a television, radio and film major
  • Alex Rouhandeh, a citizenship and civic engagement, policy studies and magazine triple major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Sally Rubin, an English and textual studies and television, radio and film dual major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program
  • Ghufran Salih, an information management and technology major
  • Gaelyn Smith, an acting major
  • Izmailia Sougoufara, an integrated biology and neuroscience major
  • Morgan Trau, a broadcast and digital journalism major
  • Hanz Valbuena, a television, radio and film major
  • Mary Kate Washburn, a health and exercise science major
  • Allison Westbrook, a sound recording technology major
  • Azarius Williams, a finance and sociology dual major
  • Tyler Youngman, an information management and technology and music history and cultures double major and a member of the Renée Crown University Honors Program