THE DAILY ORANGE

Kevin Brennan

Orientation leader uses passion for helping others to shape future

who-is-syracuse-branding

Editor’s note: “Who is Syracuse?” is a series that runs in The Daily Orange every spring. It highlights individuals who embody the spirit of Syracuse. Members of the community were encouraged to nominate people they thought fit this description. This series explores their stories.
UPDATED: April 30, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.

I

nscribed across his wrist in a scrawling, loopy font, Kevin Brennan has a tattoo that reads “I did it all my way.” The quote, partially tattooed in his mother’s handwriting, is inspired in part by one of Brennan’s favorite songs, “I Lived,” by OneRepublic.

“My mom and I always told my brothers and I to live our lives by that,” Brennan said, before singing the line in his clear, high-ranging voice: “Yeah, I, I did it all.”

Brennan’s time at Syracuse University, especially when it comes to campus involvement, has reflected this motto.

A member of the all-men a cappella group Otto Tunes, among other organizations, he also works as a medical transport driver for Syracuse University Ambulance. Brennan also has danced in OttoTHON, an extension program of SU’s Dance Marathon, that benefits local hospitals by raising funds for children at Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital.

What drew him to various organizations, Brennan said, was the unique, accepting and inspiring people he met through them. The organization that Brennan credited as having impacted his college experience the most was in which he worked as an orientation leader. He cited the thrill of welcome week has been one of his favorite parts of his past two years in the role.

“Just seeing the students come in and remembering where you were and how far you’ve come in that moment,” Brennan said. “I’ve really loved that.”

a1_kevinportrait_04282019_elizabethbillman_sp-6

Elizabeth Billman | Staff Photographer

Welcoming new students onto this campus is a full-circle experience for Brennan, who admits he struggled his own freshman year. Brennan first came into college as a biology major; it wasn’t until the end of sophomore year that he transferred into the film program.

Deep down, Brennan said, he desired to be in the entertainment industry but had always been too afraid of taking the leap. He credits his involvement in Otto Tunes, the only organization he has been involved since his first semester at SU, as one of the reasons he made it through his freshman year.

“It was hard; it was a big-time commitment,” Brennan said. “But it felt good to work towards something.”

In his sophomore year, Brennan became the public relations director of Otto Tunes and last year, he continued to move up in roles as president.

David Robusto, Otto Tunes’ current president, said that Brennan showed him how important it is to be president who is a genuine friend to everyone in the group. Robusto, a senior in the iSchool, joined the organization at the same time as Brennan. They were the only two freshmen who joined their first semester.

“Kevin fostered a culture of passion, togetherness, and joy that I attempt to always emulate,” Robusto said. “I am beyond grateful for his influence as a president and as a friend.”

When Brennan spoke of the importance of his friends, the first people he listed were his two parents, Stacy and Jim Brennan. His other inspiration for his tattoo came from his father, who worked as firefighter in Long Island.

The lyrics from “My Way,” by Frank Sinatra, Brennan said, is also partial inspiration for his tattoo. When he was younger, his father sang the song to him as he fell asleep. Brennan wears Jim’s firefighter badge around his neck to this day.

His mother, who works as a hairdresser, said one of Brennan’s defining characteristics is his willingness to help anyone and everyone.

“He just wants to be there for everybody,” she said.

“He was always that kid that was late to class, his teachers told me, because he didn’t know how not to hold the door for everybody.”

– Stacy Brennan

One of the things that has brought Stacy and Brennan especially close, Brennan said, is their work with her charity, Stacy’s Warriors. Stacy was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 — after going into remission, she was re-diagnosed in 2012 when a CT scan revealed that the cancer had metastasized to her bones. From there, her charity was founded. To this day, Brennan said, they have raised more than $100,000 for breast cancer research.

This summer, Brennan said, he will also work as a theater counselor at Camp Kesem, a camp for children whose families have been affected by cancer.

As for the rest of his postgraduate future, Brennan said, anything could happen. He may work at a production company or try and pursue acting.

What’s most important to him, he said, is continuing to build memories with the people who have made his countless involvements so special and pursuing what really makes him happy.

“It’s an open ocean out there … filled with possibilities,” Brennan said. “We’re leaving each other, but we’re not leaving the things that make us love who we are.”

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the text of Kevin Brennan’s tattoo was misquoted. HIs tattoo says, “I did it all my way.”  The Daily Orange regrets this error.