Liberal Column

Free speech should not be a partisan issue

Audra Linsner | Assistant Illustration Editor

Liberal Columnist Brittany Zelada argues that the recent passing of President Donald Trump’s executive order leads to questions over free speech protections and political partisanship.

The executive order on campus free speech threatens the federal funds of universities and colleges who violate the terms of free inquiry. This regulation of campus free speech has given the government more influence of controlling campus ideologies based on political partisanship.

Free speech should not be a partisan issue regulated by the federal government. Government intrusion on campus rhetoric will not only hinder the idea of free ideologies, but also put all institutional values and identities to fit a singular standard of what the federal guidelines of free inquiry are accepted. Miriam Elman, associate professor of political science at Syracuse University, and incoming executive director of the Academic Engagement Network, agrees.

“There are many well-documented cases of speakers being disrupted or disinvited. Trump’s executive order isn’t really going to impact this academic thuggery, which often happens under the radar and doesn’t leave an incriminating paper trail,” Elman said.

Conservatives seem to feel censored on college campuses and this executive order would work in their favor. But conservative ideologies don’t need to be protected. They have always had the microphone. When we advocate for free speech, we should be protecting marginalized voices because those are the ones who have been historically silenced.

op2

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The main intent of free speech is to create an environment in which the most diverse ideas are spread from different demographics. But these organizations that are pushing for free speech and no big government, their push for conservatism in college campuses with the creation of professor watchlists and demonization of liberal views doesn’t lead to the spread of free speech.

Nonprofit right-winged organizations like Turning Point USA, PragerU and Young Americans for Freedom have proclaimed their activism in trying to prevent so-called left-wing indoctrination that they claim occurs in universities nationwide.

With federal funds at stake, institutions may be put in a tough spot on whether to abide by their own core values or hinder well-rounded dialogue in campus culture by following this executive order. The federal government shouldn’t take away the federal funds of universities and colleges who ultimately benefit students who receive federal grants and aid each year.

Hate speech that promotes misogynistic, racist, sexist or homophobic messages shouldn’t be considered free speech if it hinders another American’s right to freedom.

“One of the things that strikes me within the conversation of free speech is that all speech is seen as being treated equally, which is not the case for those who come from historically underrepresented groups who are not necessarily heard because of power imbalances that are predominant today,” said Whitney Phillips, an assistant professor of communication and rhetorical studies at SU.

We should focus the conversation on promoting and protecting the speech of demographics who are still silenced by the implications of marginalization — regardless of partisanship.

LEARN MORE:

Brittany Zelada is a junior communications and rhetorical studies major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at bezelada@syr.edu.