Study Abroad Column

Studying abroad doesn’t have to break the bank

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

We all know that money can cause a lot of stress in college. Coming up with the means for studying abroad is no easy task. Here are some quick tips for how students can best afford their studies abroad.

As a full-time student, I worked whenever I was not eating, breathing or sleeping at school. Waitressing was great for me because it allowed me to earn more than base-salary, and my schedule was very flexible. I also picked up a social media gig at Glazed & Confused, a local donut shop in Syracuse.

Through this, I was able to make a few extra hundred dollars a month that went straight into my savings. While it is financially possible to make studying abroad work for you, I will admit that it isn’t easy, nor is it fun. You will miss out on a lot of games, parties and social events, and your academic performance will be harder to manage.

While walking past Food.com and not picking up a smoothie will be a hurdle, it will all be worth it when you’re reviewing class notes on the beaches of Spain.

For many students, spending goes toward textbooks, laptops, outrageously expensive Syracuse merch and the Orange Brewing Crate, so an extra few thousand can be hard to come up with or save throughout the year. But the price tag of studying in another country should never prevent them from following through with the opportunity. There are three main ways to study abroad at Syracuse, and I am here to guide you through the pros and cons of each, so you can budget what is right for you.

Syracuse University offers short-term programs. These programs are great for students who hold commitments in Syracuse but still want to experience the thrill of a global classroom. It’s also an amazing way to learn about a city or country you’ve been longing to visit, or think you may want to reside in once you graduate.

Syracuse’s short-term programs offer 1-3 credits, and just like all study abroad programs through SU, grants and scholarships are available. Short-term programs are the cheapest and shortest available choice, with no additional tuition charge unless you go over the 19-credit limit. Program fees generally cost around $3,000-$4,500, which includes travel between several countries, extra-curricular events, airfare, accommodation and more.

Summer programs provide students with a once-in-a-lifetime experience. They are designed for those in need of a few more credits during summer vacation or who cannot leave their obligations that revolve around SU during the academic year.

Summer programs offer an extensive variety of locations, with options scaling across Africa, Europe, Asia and other continents. Each location differs in program length— which is another bonus of studying abroad in the summer, because you can explore Africa from May through June, and continue your summer job or internship for the remainder of summer.

You can also squeeze out three more credits in the summer session than in the short-term program. Program costs vary depending on where you go, but they tend to stay within the $1,500-$3,500 range, again including travel between several countries, extracurricular events, airfare, accommodation, and more. There is an additional tuition charge of about $4,000 for this type of study abroad, which makes this program the second cheapest choice.

Last but not least, you have your semester abroad program. Unlike short-term and summer programs, you can earn up to 21-credits — although 12 to 15 is recommended — and you stay in your chosen destination for between four and six months. The price isn’t much higher than the other study abroad options, with program fees ranging from $6,000-$10,000 along with the additional tuition charge. In order to fully weigh your options, check out Syracuse Abroad’s “Programs” page to learn more.