Ducks

Duck: Lizzie Michael

Casey Russell | Senior Staff Writer

Asst. Feature Editor | Spring 2016; Asst. Video Editor | Spring-Fall 2017; Video Editor | Spring 2018

I have given a lot of my life to The Daily Orange. Three years, to be exact. As I sit here today, I can say, unequivocally, that this was the stupidest, silliest, craziest decision of my life. But if a fairy godmother were to descend down from the heavens before me and offer me the chance to do it all again differently, there is no way in hell I would change a thing.

Because even at its worst, The Daily Orange is still the greatest experience I have ever had the supreme privilege to be a part of.

I began my freshman year as a beat writer for Pulp covering student tattoos. Yes, you read that right. Tattoos. Hard-hitting stuff. Thank God I switched to video. 🙂

If you had told me then, as a freshman, that in the next three years I would cover concerts, ROTC training, protests, marches and infamous videos that would go on to garner more than half a million views and get covered by The New York Times, Washington Post and CNN, I probably would have snort-laughed in your face.

Boy oh boy, it has been nuts. This job has been the learning experience of a lifetime, and I am eternally grateful.

Of course, not every moment was heavenly. There was the time ‘Cuse basketball made it to the Final Four and, instead of going out and celebrating, I was stuck in the house editing. Or the time I found myself standing at a bus stop under a dark blanket of snow, 45 minutes after getting dumped, freezing my fingers off to interview a bus driver about his new route.

Yeah, The Daily Orange did not always feel like a blessing.

But there were also moments — many, many more moments — that are etched into my memory deeper than any all-nighter writing an article could be. I still remember, so clearly, the way I felt when I saw my name in print for the very first time. I’ll never forget the fullness in my heart when a drag queen I had made a video about messaged me to praise the coverage. I’ll never stop laughing at the time a digital editor hid on top of the break room vending machine just to scare unknowing co-workers walking in.

Yeah, those are the memories I love, they are the ones I hold onto and they are the ones that, when I reflect upon my four semesters in house here at The D.O., I keep coming back to again and again.

I am so thankful to The Daily Orange for all it has given me. I hope I did you justice.

Mackenzie Sammeth & Rori Sachs: Thank you for being wonderful assistants and for being patient as I figured out how to do my job as I went along.

Mackenzie: Also, let’s get hype for “Live from Studio B.” Can’t wait to see you host!

The Alexas: You two were the most compassionate yet badass management team yet, and I am so thankful to have worked under you. Alexa, I love your cheerfulness, and Alexa, I love your knowing smirk. I think it’s funny that I don’t have to clarify who is who.

Tomer Langer & Sam Fortier: I kind of group you two together in my mind in a category called “delightful, wonderful people.” I think you are both delightful, wonderful people. Thanks for being my friends.

Lucy Naland & Emma Comtois: I appreciate both of you for your talent, strong personalities and uncanny ability to always make me smile. There was definitely a lot of gossip, let’s be honest, but there were also a lot of laughs and good times.

Josh Feinblatt: Remember how I tried to groom you to be an editor? LOL.

Casey Russell: Whenever I bump into you, you make me feel loved. Thank you for being the friendliest face around the punch bowl and a D.O. icon.

Satoshi Sugiyama: Every time I see you in food.com, it makes my day. I am proud of you and proud to know you. You are one of the most hardworking and kindest people I know, and you are truly a blessing to the world. I am so excited to see what you do and where you go, and I know you can make it through anything life throws at you.

Kennedy Rose: Your dry sense of humor and tell-it-like-it-is wit is a gift. Never stop using it.

Daniel “Whitbitch” Strauss: You are a genuinely awesome guy, and I am really glad we became friends. Also, I promise I will put together an explainer video blooper reel at some point. I PROMISE!

Kateri Gemperlein-Schirm: You are super great, and I’m glad we got to know each other in the worst EEE class ever! If we’re ever both in Burlington again, let’s get maple creemees.

Sam Ogozalek: You work so hard and care so much. You are equal parts inspirational and wonderful, and I am so honored I have been able to watch you grow. Good luck next year.☺.

Haley Kim: If there were an award for “Most Patient Person with Lizzie” at The D.O., it would go to you. Thank you for copy editing soooo much stuff for me this past semester and for being so chill about it.

Kai Nguyen: You are seriously so cool. Like, wow.

Katie Czerwinski: I wish we had gotten to know each other sooner because you are SO, SO TALENTED AND WONDERFUL. OHMYGOD. You are such a delight, and wow, I appreciate you so much, wow.

Andy Mendes: You are a beacon of joy. You have a magical energy about you, an impressive sense of humor and a superb taste in music. I am so excited to see what you do with Digital.

Rachel Sandler: It ain’t a party unless I see you there. 😉

Kathryn Krawczyk: You have been a consistent person in my college life, and I am very thankful for that. You know what you want and you go for it, and I think that is a rare, amazing quality not enough people have. I’m so, so glad I get to call you a friend.

Amanda Caffey: You are the sweetest human being and were a wonderful boss. I am so happy we were able to share PALS, because that week is still one of the best of my life. You are going to do great things in your life, and I am excited to watch you shine.

Brigid Kennedy: Freshman year, you were 100 percent the only reason I passed economics. Sophomore and junior year, you were the best co-assistant a girl could ask for. Thank you for always being there. Also, your Twitter is legit fire. Everyone, go follow her: @brigidk_

Rachel Gilbert: You light up my life every time I see you. Do you remember that time we got coffee together in Kubal and just talked? That meant a lot to me, so thank you. Thank you for being such a genuine and fantastic person.

Alex Archambault: Thanks for getting me through Pulp and, more importantly, for recreating Kardashian moments with me. Those were interesting times. Also, you taught me that athleisure is a viable fashion choice, and honestly that was life-changing.

Justin Mattingly: Having you as an editor-in-chief was an amazing experience. You are so kind and hardworking, and I doubt you know how much of an inspiration you were to me. I am truly, truly honored I was fortunate enough to work with you, and I hope our paths cross again. Clocking out.

Jacob Gedetsis: When I walked into The D.O. for an open house freshman year, I was trying to head up to News. Then you and your unquenchable energy popped out of nowhere and literally dragged me into Feature, and that was it. You were my first editor, my first read and the first person who showed faith in me at The D.O. I cannot thank you enough for being the catalyst of my college career, and I really appreciate you as a friendly face in my life.

The Daily Orange house: I have spent way too much time within your walls to not give you a shout-out. I will remember everything: the naps on the kitchen couch before it was removed, the creepiness of the basement studio, the comfort of the memorabilia-covered walls. I’ll always cherish the hours upon hours I spent in Digital, and I will try to forget the time I wiped out going down the ice-covered walkway steps. I love 744 Ostrom, and everything it represents.

Oh, The Daily Orange, we have had a time. I’ll miss you.