Editorial Board

Giving LGBTQ students a say in choosing a director for the LGBT Resource Center is essential

Hieu Nguyen | Assistant Photo Editor

Syracuse University hosted an open presentation forum on Tuesday for one of the candidates for the LGBT Resource Center's new director.

Syracuse University is holding public forums this week in its search for a new director of the LGBT Resource Center, rightfully offering LGBTQ community members a seat at the table on a decision that will influence student life at SU.

Student support offices — especially those that back marginalized communities — must be properly staffed to cultivate an inclusive and safe campus environment. By giving candidates a public platform to present ideas for the future of the center, students can help secure a leader who is committed to them for the long term.

SU alum Khristian Kemp-Delisser, a candidate for the position and current director of Colgate University’s LGBT initiatives, delivered a presentation Tuesday that addressed the need for greater inclusivity of LGBTQ people of color on college campuses. Samuel Neil Byrd, another candidate, will present Thursday in the E.S. Bird Library.

Ultimately, the new director will step into a critical role for a student center that’s stretched thin after losing the leadership of Tiffany Gray, who served as associate director of the center from 2012-14 and as director since fall 2015.

The transparency of SU’s search process is an encouraging attempt to promote a stronger relationship between the center and the campus body it’ll serve. Because when it comes to representation, it’s important SU speaks alongside its LGBTQ students — not for them.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.

The Daily Orange has partnered with ProPublica to report on bias and hate incidents that go unreported. If you’ve experienced or witnessed hate at SU or SUNY-ESF, share it with us here.