Editorial Board

And the award for best University Union movie lineup goes to…

Daily Orange File Illustration

Amid a competitive and exciting Oscars race, University Union has curated one of its best free, semester-long movie lineups in recent years.

The spring 2018 lineup features a wide range of blockbusters and Oscar-nominated films, including “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” “The Shape of Water” and “Coco.” The lineup covers more diverse genres than in previous semesters — a welcome change of pace from UU’s typical stack of romantic comedies and action films.

With movies at Regal Destiny USA averaging more than $13 per ticket, it’s important that Syracuse University and UU provide free and low-cost entertainment to students who may not be able to afford pricey trips to the theater. The UU screenings are financially accessible at no expense to the quality of the films, which are representative of varying audiences.

With awards season underway, it’s encouraging to see UU exposing more students to an assorted movie selection. But while the films included in this semester’s schedule are distinct in their own right, UU should continually seek lineups that are more inclusive of minority-directed productions, non-white communities and showcase storylines across spectrums of ability, gender, financial status, political affiliations, sexuality and religious beliefs, among other identities.

With the success of weekend movie screenings in the past, UU should consider encore weekends for some of the larger titles in the mix, especially given the limited seating in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall’s Gifford Auditorium, where the movies are screened. UU should also advertise its film screenings more universally across campus and on social media, not just in the Schine Student Center or freshman residential halls.

So kick back, relax and enjoy the show.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.