Editorial Board

Meet The Daily Orange Editorial Board

Daily Orange file illustration

Email opinion@dailyorange.com to join the conversation.

As freshmen arrive in central New York, Syracuse institutions are ready to greet them: ringing chimes at Crouse College, sporting events at the Carrier Dome, and yes, The Daily Orange.

The D.O. has covered the greater Syracuse University community for 114 years and values its storied history, particularly its independence from the university achieved in 1971. As a media organization, The D.O. strives to present unbiased coverage and share the perspectives of community members on what’s happening in the SU and greater Syracuse communities.

But The D.O. still has its own voice, shared through its editorial board. The editorial board is composed of seven of the organization’s primary editors, including the editor in chief, managing editor, head editors of each editorial section, as well as several engaged staff members and former staffers who currently attend SU. As an editorial board, we analyze university and community policies, events and administrative actions and share our perspectives as informed students.

The editorial editor chooses discussion topics based on news value and relevancy to student life. When a viable topic arises, the board meets for a roundtable discussion. The editorial editor does not offer their own opinion, but condenses the primary points of the conversation into the editorial, which is published regularly in the paper and on The D.O.’s website.

The D.O.’s financial independence from the university is essential to the editorial board. Because we have no obligation to the university, we can freely criticize and commend  the SU administration’s policies and programs. We can promote discussion to bridge the gap between students, administrators and community members. And because the editorial board is housed under the Opinion section, we can provide a viewpoint that the News, Pulp and Sports sections cannot.

Our editorials are aimed at unity through a transparent flow of information, and to support that goal we are always open to topic pitches from the university body and surrounding community. To submit a topic of discussion, please email opinion@dailyorange.com.

After all, the editorial board isn’t the end of the discussion. We want you to share your ideas with us, engage with us and challenge us. We want to keep the conversation going.