SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES

Former Billboard editorial director to head Syracuse University’s Bandier Program

Bill Werde's appointment as director of the Bandier Program comes as the program moves from the College of Visual and Performing Arts to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Bill Werde, a former Billboard editorial director, has been named director of Syracuse University’s Martin Bandier Program for the Music Business and Entertainment Industries, the university announced in a statement Tuesday.

Werde spent more than eight years at Billboard, where he helped direct content across the company’s properties and relaunched the magazine’s website. He also worked as an associate editor at Rolling Stone, a freelance journalist and a consultant for media groups and advocacy organizations.

Werde’s appointment as the Bandier Program’s director coincides with the program’s move from the College of Visual and Performing Arts to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. The transition from VPA to Newhouse is expected to be complete in 2018.

Lisa Steele, the Bandier Program’s assistant director, will continue to lead the program with Werde, according to the university.

Ulf Oesterle, currently the program’s interim director, will teach music industry classes in Bandier and other Newhouse programs.