Superlatives from Syracuse football’s spring game

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

The offense sputtered on Saturday in its first public appearance since last season.

Syracuse’s spring season concluded with the Spring Showcase on Saturday morning in the Carrier Dome. Last year’s game featured 13 touchdowns as SU fans got their first look at Dino Babers’ new offense.

Here are some superlatives from the game.

Stud: Antwan Cordy

The redshirt junior played for the first time since getting injured against Louisville in Week 2 of last year. Even in the lower-stakes game, Cordy showed exactly what the Orange was missing last year.

On the second drive of the game, he broke in from his deep safety spot and picked off a Zack Mahoney pass and took it back for a touchdown. He broke up a pass, nearly getting another interception, on the next possession.

Dud: The offense

Both offenses struggled to do anything in this year’s game. The first two possessions of the game were three-and-outs, which set the tone for the rest of the game.

Mahoney got pulled after throwing the interception, ending his day after just two drives. Eric Dungey struggled for most of day, throwing one interception and having two more balls that very easily could have been picked as well.

The one bright spot for SU was that Rex Culpepper looked solid leading the offense. On one drive, he led the team to three consecutive first downs. He missed on some of his deeper throws, but looked good on shorter passes and seemed comfortable running the show.

Highlight: Devin Butler beats Devin Butler

In the battle of names — and for the day’s first and only offensive touchdown — wide receiver Devin Butler beat cornerback Devin Butler.

The wide receiver lined up in a one-on-one with his counterpart on the right sideline. Dungey threw a pass from midfield into the end zone, and the wide receiver went up and snagged it, right as the cornerback missed sticking his hand in the right spot to break up the pass.

Lowlight: Sean Riley’s dropped pass

Nearly every offensive drive could have been deemed the lowlight. But one that seems to typify the rest of the game came in the third quarter.

On fourth and 5, no one was covering Riley in the slot, as the defensive back was on the wrong side of the field. As Dungey threw it to Riley to try and pick up the first down, Riley just dropped it, and possession went back to team White.