Work Wednesday

Syracuse businessman goes from running multiple McDonald’s restaurants to opening a gym

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Dean Panos is currently scouting locations to open Blink Fitness locations in upstate New York. He’s looking forward to encouraging a healthy lifestyle for the citizens of Syracuse.

Syracuse local Dean Panos worked alongside his father to run several McDonald’s locations in upstate New York for more than 20 years. Now, after some time away from the franchise, he is returning to the business scene to introduce Blink Fitness to Syracuse.

When Panos was younger, his father was offered the rights to create a McDonald’s franchise in Syracuse. He spent several years working with his father, learning the demands of running multiple entities.

Panos attended Michigan State University to earn his undergraduate degree in hotel and restaurant institutional management. He then moved to Chicago where he worked in the hotel industry for some time. Ultimately, he chose to return to Syracuse to help with the eight McDonald’s locations, which in a way had become a family business.

In 2012, the Panos family had the opportunity to sell their franchise back to the McDonald’s operation. The family felt it was an acceptable time to move on and Dean was looking forward to spending time with his family, specifically to raise his two children.

“We felt the opportunity was right for our future to let go. It was bittersweet, but it was the right thing to do,” Panos said.

Almost one year ago, Panos read an article on CNN Money about the fitness industry, which described Blink Fitness as an up-and-coming health chain changing the focus of the industry. It immediately sparked his interest, since Panos was adamant about exercising everyday. He was so intrigued that he traveled to New York City to visit its fitness centers.

Right away, Panos was impressed by the personality of the staff coming to greet him and offer assistance. With each location he toured, he was continually amazed by their organization and extreme cleanliness. Hygiene had always been a priority for him when working in the food industry.

Panos discussed opening a location in Upstate New York with the company. His work with McDonald’s showed him that he excels with multiple businesses, so he asked to open multiple fitness centers. They made a deal that Panos would open five stores in five years with the option to continuing growing out at the end.

Panos is currently scouting locations and anticipates he’ll have the first gym open by the end of the year. He is thrilled to be working on his passion and that he gets to remain in his beloved hometown.

“It really hit a nerve, something I’m passionate about. An industry that almost feels as if I’m not working because it comes easy,” Panos said.

Panos emphasized his appreciation of Blink Fitness’s social media campaign. Their slogan, “Mood Above Muscle,” focuses on encouraging an environment open to all fitness levels. He is eager to once again be an employer and to meet people with the same level of passion as himself.

“To start something so youthful and grow it,” Panos said. “It’s like a flip flop of where we were with such a mature business and now we’re at the infancy again and I enjoy that. I’m looking forward to seeing the story evolve.”