Speakers

Tickets to go on sale for Humans of New York speaker event

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

Brandon Stanton, the Humans of New York founder, will be speaking at Syracuse University at the beginning of March.

Tickets go on sale Wednesday morning for the founder of the popular Humans of New York blog’s speech, which will be held in Syracuse University’s Goldstein Auditorium on March 6.

The event is being hosted by University Union, in conjunction with the University Lectures series. Brandon Stanton, the photographer and writer that pioneered Humans of New York — which now has 17.6 million Facebook followers and 6.5 followers on Instagram — is the second speaker for this semester’s lecture series.

Tickets go on sale Wednesday at 9 a.m. at the Schine Box Office. There will be a limit of two tickets per student and students must have a valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID to purchase them. The tickets will be $5 at the box office or $10 online. For faculty and Syracuse community members, tickets will be $10.

Stanton is commonly referred to as an internet phenomena and has published two books about his life and blogging. The first book, titled “Humans of New York,” was on The New York Times’ bestseller list for 45 weeks.

“His success illustrates the power of the Internet, the value of storytelling and our desire to remain connected with real people in our increasingly technology-driven world,” a news release from University Union states.

Stanton’s success has created spin-off blogs across the world, including in Syracuse, where resident Kathe Harrington takes photos and runs “Humans of Syracuse.”

The other upcoming speaker for the lecture series is Sonia Nazario, an award-winning journalist, who will speak at Hendricks Chapel on April 5.