Weekend Plans

10 things you could be doing in Syracuse this weekend

Emma Comtois | Digital Designer

If you’re looking for a perfect finish to an unusually warm Syracuse week, you won’t be disappointed. From jazz and plays to a 400-vendor strong farm show at the fairgrounds, Syracuse has packed a good weekend. Pulp’s got the details.

Event: The King Stag
Where: Syracuse Stage
When: Feb. 17-26
Cheer on fellow SU students as they perform this Italian fairytale that will be fun for people of all ages. It opened last weekend, but catch it before it’s off the stage. Check out The Daily Orange’s coverage for it on dailyorange.com.

Event: New York Farm Show
Where: Thursday–Sunday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
When: Empire Expo Center-NYS Fairgrounds
Filled with new and practical farm equipment, this farm show features services and products for all farmers and farm-enthusiasts. With more than 400 commercial exhibitors with tons of innovative products, the Farm Show is sure to please.

Event: Jon Reep
Where: Syracuse Funny Bone Comedy Club
When: Thursday–Sunday
The winner of NBC’s Last Comic Standing is bringing his tour to Funny Bone as part of Syracuse’s Winterfest.

Event: Stone Canoe Journal #11 Release Party
Where: YMCA of Downtown Syracuse
When: Friday, 7 p.m.
This reading will feature writers from the latest issue of Stone Canoe, the only literary journal focused on the work of both writers and authors from Upstate New York. There will be refreshments.

Event: Doo-Wop Wed Widing Hood
Where: Carrier Theater at the Oncenter Civic Center Theaters
When: Friday, 7-8:30 p.m.
A retelling of Little Red Riding Hood which features a sock-hopping 1950s score, this daring adventure will hopefully end in happily-ever-after.

Event: Simple Life
Where: The Lost Horizon
When: Saturday, 7 p.m.
Since it started in 2001, Simple Life started by playing only acoustic sets. They were nominated for a Syracuse Area Music Award, and perform anything from acoustic to full-band pieces. Catch them while they’re in Syracuse.

Event: Scholastic Jazz Jam Series
Where: Le Moyne Plaza
When: Saturday, 2-5 p.m.
Aspiring jazz musicians, get ready! The CNY Jazz Orchestra is inviting any and all jazz musicians of all skills levels to sit down for constructive feedback on their craft, in a fun jam session.

Event: Soul
Where: Saturday and Sunday, 7-9 p.m., 4 p.m.- 6 p.m.
When: ArtRage Gallery
Told in three actors’ voices, this interactive experience explores the common connections of all women and invites audience members to contribute their own dreams to the story.

Event: Badfish: A Tribute to Sublime
Where: The Westcott Theater
When: Sunday, 9 p.m.
As a tribute to the California punk band Sublime, Badfish has managed to recreate the spirit and sound of the band and gain its own following. Sun Dried Vibes and Barroom Philosophers will be opening.

Event: Live at Ish: Janek Gwizdala
Where: Ish Guitars at 410 S Franklin St, Syracuse, New York 13031
When: Sunday, 9 p.m.
The British bassist, who has worked with John Mayer and released seven albums, will be performing a free show at Ish Guitars guitar retailer.