candidates on the issues

Candidates on the Issues: Terrorism

Lucy Naland | The Daily Orange

Up until the election on Nov. 8, The Daily Orange will be looking at where the presidential, New York state and 24th district candidates stand on major issues. Here’s where they stand on the issue of national security and terrorism.

trump-1
Donald Trump wants to conduct “aggressive joint and coalition military operations” to “destroy” the Islamic State and suspend immigration from countries with refugees from the Syrian Civil War, according to his campaign website. Trump has said in debates and interviews he has a secret plan to defeat ISIS because he didn’t want to give anything away to America’s enemies.

chuckschumer-1
Chuck Schumer has pushed for $600 million in antiterrorism funds and calls for increase in FBI funding for active shooter training and local law enforcement to prevent and respond to terrorist attacks. After the Paris terrorist attacks last year, Schumer said he may support a “pause” on letting refugees into the country, but quickly backtracked a few days later and said he no longer supports a “pause.”

johnkatko-1
John Katko has authored legislation increasing congressional oversight of the Transportation Security Administration. Contributed to a report making more than 50 recommendations for enhancing national security as part of the Homeland Security Committee’s bipartisan Task Force on Combating Terrorist and Foreign Fighter Travel.

hillll-1
Hillary Clinton said in the most recent debate that she wants to establish a no-fly-zone over Syria in order to end the Syrian conflict. Clinton also wants to increase the number of refugees coming into the U.S. and work with allies in the Middle East.

wendylong-1
Wendy Long calls for coordinating with a group of allies to carry out “a clear, decisive, major blow” to the Islamic State. She also wants to fight Islamic extremism by forming friendship with pro-Western Muslims, according to her campaign website.

colleandeacon-1
Colleen Deacon calls for in diplomacy and coordinate with technology companies to identify and remove threats both U.S. and abroad, according to her campaign website. She said in an interview with WRVO that she “doesn’t quite know what the answer is” to defeating ISIS, but said the U.S. needs to be “strategic” about a plan going forward that doesn’t create a vacuum for other groups to form.