Syracuse University professors explore the development of ‘smart’ biomaterials

Kiran Ramsey | Digital Design Editor

These new biomaterials are going to be compatible with the body’s physical environment and responsive new trigger mechanisms. This compatibility will allow cells to attach and multiply on the scaffold and while the scaffold changes shape.

Two Syracuse University professors are involved in the creation of new “smart” biomaterials.

James Henderson, associate professor of biomedical and chemical engineering at SU; Ian Hosein, assistant professor of biomedical and chemical engineering at SU; and Patrick Mather, dean of the College of Engineering at  Bucknell University, have teamed up — along with a team of undergraduate and graduate students — to develop new “smart” biomaterials to further study tissue engineering and biomechanics.

Chronic bone, joint and muscle diseases can lead to cartilage transplants. Cartilage surgeries consist of cutting out all the damaged cartilage and using metal replacements to return functionality to the joint, Henderson said. In extreme cases, an entire knee replacement may become necessary, Henderson said.

These processes may happen over multiple surgeries, not only bringing the patient pain, but also a hefty medical bill.

Through this project, funded by the National Science Foundation, Henderson said the researchers hope to ultimately learn more about cell behavior, and eventually implement the materials to drastically improve current medical procedures.

The team hopes to successfully engineer functional tissue that can be implanted into the body and perform naturally. This will be achieved through the use of shape memory polymers, which could be used to prepare biocompatible, porous scaffolds — the structural unit to which the cells are attached.

“The goal is to essentially develop materials that interact with cells in a synergistic matter, and overtime facilitate the differentiation of cells,” Mather said.

Henderson said shape memory polymers will be engineered to influence tissue development when triggered by stimuli such as light and enzymes. Currently, he said, there are shape memory polymers which are externally triggered by temperature. This isn’t as clinically useful as a response to light or enzymes would be because, to put it simply, many cells don’t like the temperature to change, Henderson said.

Cells have an optimal temperature and even a slight change can create a negative response. This is best seen in the body’s response to a fever. A few degrees above body temperature and mechanisms suddenly start to respond and attempt to restore the internal environment.

What’s significant, Henderson said, is that these new biomaterials will be compatible with the body’s physical environment and responsive to the new trigger mechanisms. The compatibility allows cells to attach and multiply on the scaffold and as the scaffold changes shape. As a result of the triggers, the cells respond.

The cellular response can then cause the polymer to change, Henderson added. This interactive relationship between the cells and the polymers is the positive feedback loop that has these researchers so interested.

“One part of what this project involves is biomechanics, so there’s the tissue engineering itself and the biomechanics of its development,” Henderson said. “Through biomechanics we can try to understand how cells respond to their physical environment. Cells can feel their world, and their behavior can ultimately tell us how they develop.”

Joseph Akkara, program director at the National Science Foundation, said they are a funding agency with limited resources, and they have to determine how money is spent based on what proposals are cutting edge and will expand their portfolio.

“The applications of this biomaterials program are diversified and unique. It includes concepts such as tissue engineering as well as how materials are synthesized,” Akkara said.

Applications include using feedback systems to repair and replace cartilage rather than cutting out the whole joint. These new procedures can last longer, have higher functionality, and not be as invasive. Developments include synthetic drug delivery systems, and using cell differentiation to replace tissues and eventually organs.

When asked why people should care about this project, Henderson said, “The potential for this project is why it’s important. It can help people.”