Bruegger’s Bagels near the Syracuse University campus has closed

Jamie Pershing | Contributing Writer

Bruegger's Bagels located on South Crouse Avenue near Marshall Street in Syracuse has closed permanently.

UPDATED: Sept. 30 at 5:57 p.m.

Bruegger’s Bagels located at 731 S. Crouse Ave. near the Syracuse University campus has closed permanently.

An employee of Bruegger’s confirmed the closure, but did not give any reasons as to why this location has closed.

Doug Gaylord, director of operations for the Bruegger’s company, said in an email that this location has been closed permanently due to the landlord’s decision not to extend the lease agreement.

“Unfortunately, that decision, made late last week, meant we had to fully move out by this Friday,” Gaylord said. “We had hoped to be able to maintain our presence here to continue to serve our loyal customers and made every last minute attempt to do so.”

The South Crouse Bruegger’s location was a busy and successful shop for the company, Gaylord said. But business remains strong for all of Bruegger’s bakeries across New York state.

All of the people who used to work at the South Crouse Brugger’s location have accepted positions at other Bruegger’s locations in the Syracuse area, Gaylord said.

He added that lease extensions have been confirmed for all of the other current New York bakeries.

In the past few years, several other restaurants and shops on Marshall Street have closed, including Yogurtland, Sliders and most recently M Street Pizza.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the business that was located at 731 S. Crouse Ave. prior to Bruegger’s Bagels was misstated. The Daily Orange regrets this error.