Field Hockey

Syracuse field hockey downs Temple, 8-0, in season opener

Jessica Sheldon | Photo Editor

Roos Weers and Syracuse grabbed their first win of the season, beating Temple, 8-0.

High expectations did not faze No. 2 Syracuse (1-0), the defending national champions, as SU won its season opener against Temple (0-1), 8-0.

Orange forward Liz Sack scored the first goal of the game and Emma Lamison followed just a minute and a half later, with the assist coming from Sack. SU added two more goals in the first half, finishing with a 4-0 lead.

The second half was similar to the first with Syracuse netting four more goals. Lies Lagerweij scored twice, including one goal coming on a penalty stroke. Senior Elaine Carey also jumped on the scoreboard, adding her first goal in a Syracuse uniform in the win.

Goalkeeper Regan Spencer and the SU defense shut the Owls out. Temple only managed three shots, putting only one on goal. Spencer played all 70 minutes in the win and seems to have taken over the starting gig vacated after Jess Jecko graduated last season.

The Orange came out aggressive and the offense clicked, posting 22 shots, 17 of which were on goal. Six of the eight goals were assisted, showing the team hasn’t lost its cohesiveness despite graduating several players.

While Syracuse seemed to have a clear edge on both offense and defense, the penalty game was much different. Though penalties were mostly even, SU finished with 15 compared to Temple’s 12. Nijsje Venrooy was given a yellow card for the Orange, the only issued in the game.

SU will face its next opponent this Sunday, August 28 against No. 6 ranked Maryland in Philadelphia.