Schools and Colleges

New dean prepares to take Maxwell School into the next chapter

Courtesy of Jessica Smith

David Van Slyke (right) was named as dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs after a search committee could not find a successor to James Steinberg in June.

Hard work and communication have helped David Van Slyke earn trust from the faculty to be named the new dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.

Van Slyke was appointed as dean of Maxwell after a search committee — that he chaired — was unable to find a replacement.

The committee was disbanded at the end of June after a candidate could not be found “who could engender strong support and generate great excitement about the School’s future,” said Syracuse University Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly in an SU News release at the time.

A week later, Van Slyke was selected as the new Maxwell dean.

And while the path to the new position was somewhat unexpected and sudden, Van Slyke said in an email, that he is honored with the opportunity and excited “to lead Maxwell into its next chapter and find new ways of delivering the very best education and preparation for our students.”

Van Slyke took over as dean beginning July 1, but said he is just beginning to make the transition into the leadership role after honoring previous commitments made while associate dean and department chair of Maxwell’s public administration and international affairs. 

While in those positions, Van Slyke was responsible for administering Maxwell’s graduate professional degree programs — which U.S. News and World Report named the No. 1 master’s program in public affairs.

Prior to coming to the university 12 years ago, Van Slyke managed commercial infrastructure projects in the private sector, as well as lending his expertise to the Office of Management and Budget, the Government Accountability Office, the United States Coast Guard and the World Bank.

The dean said he is most excited to help shape the future of Maxwell as the school looks for new ways to improve its education.

“In many ways, it’s a turbulent time in higher education, as new technologies, delivery models and the demand for 21st century skills bump up against the practical realities of rising costs and a very competitive market of education alternatives,” Van Slyke said.

As a school, Van Slyke said he hopes to “embrace the ideals of continuous improvement and innovation” while also maintaining the “traditions that bind us together.”

In many ways, it’s a turbulent time in higher education, as new technologies, delivery models and the demand for 21st century skills bump up against the practical realities of rising costs and a very competitive market of education alternatives.
David Van Slyke

Van Slyke said he will first focus on understanding the “needs and opportunities of the school,” saying that his knowledge from being part of the community for more than a decade has given him a head start in understanding what needs to be done to better the school. 

Van Slyke’s knowledge of the school is also seen as an asset by his colleagues, one that cannot be equated by an outside hire.

“(Van Slyke) knows the issues facing the school and is ready to get started and work with faculty, students and administrators to put Maxwell in the front,” said Bethany Walawender, assistant director of administration and finance at Maxwell.

Walawender, who has worked with Van Slyke at the Campbell Public Affairs Institute within Maxwell, said Van Slyke already has a good relationship with the faculty and administration in his department, as well with all the faculty on the search committee.

Lack of communication and transparency caused issues between the previous dean, James Steinberg, and the Maxwell faculty and staff. This is something Robert Bifulco, who will be taking over the vacant seat Van Slyke left as associate dean and chair of the department of public administration and international affairs, said he believes Van Slyke will be able to smooth over as he is more engaged with the staff.

“The appointment didn’t happen the regular way, so (Van Slyke) had to win some people over because of that,” Bifulco said, “but he is committed to Maxwell and is committed to the faculty.”

The appointment didn’t happen the regular way, so (Van Slyke) had to win some people over because of that but he is committed to Maxwell and is committed to the faculty.
Robert Bifulco

Bifulco also thinks it was the best choice for the school to pick Van Slyke as a permanent dean rather than placing an interim dean in the position, as the title often lacks the capital to get things done, Bifulco said.

As a first generation college student, Van Slyke said he learned quickly the value of focusing on goals, hard work, contributing to the public good and working hard to make a difference in the lives of others. It is these reasons he calls working at Maxwell a “dream come true.”

“Being a part of this community and having the opportunity to work with and teach individuals who are dedicated to public service and the common good has given me reasons to be proud,” Van Slyke said.