Dino Babers’ 1st in-season press conference: James Pierre doesn’t qualify, young 1st-teamers and 3 a.m. movies

Dino Babers addressed the media for the first time during the season. He discussed Colgate, James Pierre and more on Monday.

It’s four days from Dino Babers’ debut as Syracuse head coach, when the Orange kicks off against Colgate in the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. Babers held his first game-week press conference at SU Monday morning in the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing Auditorium. Here are three things he said.

James Pierre didn’t qualify with the NCAA

Syracuse defensive back signee James Pierre failed to qualify and will not join the team this season, Babers said Monday. The head coach has expressed frustration in recent weeks with the length of time it’s taken for Syracuse to find out about Pierre’s arrival.

The Orange is already thin in the secondary after training camp injuries to redshirt senior Wayne Morgan, redshirt sophomore Rodney Williams and freshmen Evan Foster and Devon Clarke. Pierre could have helped an already beleaguered unit.

On the depth chart released Monday morning, redshirt junior Corey Winfield and redshirt sophomore Cordell Hudson are listed as the first-team cornerbacks, with junior Antwan Cordy and sophomore Kielan Whitner manning the two safety spots.

Praise for young first-teamers Coleman and Conway

Freshman defensive end Kendall Coleman is the only true freshman who made the first team ahead of Friday’s season-opener. He’ll line up opposite redshirt sophomore Chris Slayton after a knee injury presumably shifted redshirt freshman Jake Pickard to the second team.

“I’ve seen a couple of freshmen in 31 years that’s impressed me enough to be someone that’s going to get as many reps as Kendall Coleman’s gonna get,” Babers said. “He does not speak much, but all he does is let his play speak for him. He has made a huge impression on me.”

Sophomore Cody Conway will take over for departed redshirt senior Ivan Foy on Eric Dungey’s blind side after he beat out Michael Lasker for the left tackle spot in camp. Conway is one of three sophomore starters on offense along with Dungey and running back Dontae Strickland.

“He showed the ability to do exactly what we were asking him to do,” Babers said of Conway. “The things that we ask offensive linemen to do shows up on tape when you watch Cody Conway.”

Watching movies at 3:30 in the morning

Sleep hasn’t been coming often to Babers as he approaches his debut as a Power 5 head coach. A proclaimed movie buff, Babers has instead used the early hours of the morning in recent days to watch films such as “Road house” and “Kill the Messenger.”

“Not much sleep,” Babers said with a grin. “I’ve been catching all the early shows.”