ESPY Awards

Joe Biden, Carmelo Anthony and Pearl Washington leave their mark on this year’s ESPY Awards

Moriah Ratner | Staff Photographer

Vice President Joe Biden presented sideline reporter Craig Sager with the Jimmy V Perseverance Award. This photo was taken when the VP visited SU during this academic year.

The ESPY Awards recognize the greatest stories and triumphs in sports.

Syracuse University didn’t win any individual accolades, but the school’s presence was weaved throughout the award show.

Carmelo Anthony, Vice President Joe Biden and Pearl Washington each left an impression on the night.

Carmelo Anthony calls athletes to promote social change

The ESPYs kicked off with a speech by NBA stars Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade and LeBron James.

The athletes addressed the recent killings of Philando Castile, Alton Sterling and five Dallas police officers.

Anthony echoed the statements he made in a recent Instagram post calling athletes to help the lead the charge for social change.

“The system is broken, the problems are not new, the violence is not new, and the racial divide definitely is not new, but the urgency for change is definitely at an all-time high,” said Carmelo Anthony in his speech.

Pearl Washington remembered in tribute video

Andra Day performed “Rearview” in tribute to the athletes lost by the sports world during the past year. During the song, a photo of Syracuse basketball legend Pearl Washington flashed across the screen.

Washington died April 20 after battling a malignant brain tumor since the summer of 2015.

Joe Biden introduces Craig Sager, touches on his late son’s battle with cancer

Biden presented sideline reporter Craig Sager with the Jimmy V Perseverance Award for his tenacity in battling leukemia.

In his speech, Biden touched upon his late son Beau who died at the age of 46 in May from brain cancer.

“Like Jimmy V, my son Beau never let cancer touch his heart or his soul,” Biden said.