Syracuse University to replace Carrier Dome roof, make $255 million in renovations

Luke Rafferty | Staff Photographer

Syracuse University announced on Monday it would renovate the Carrier Dome and replace the current roof with a new one.

UPDATED: Monday, May 16, 2016 at 5:20 p.m.

For several years, Syracuse University has contemplated what to do with the Carrier Dome. On Monday, it announced the current roof will be replaced with a new, $105 million roof among other renovations to the aging stadium.

SU will also overhaul Archbold Gymnasium and it will be called the “Arch” — a new student-focused health and wellness complex. Those changes will tack on another $50 million in addition to the other changes, according to an SU News release.

Both the Dome and Archbold will receive Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-related accessibility and mobility upgrades, which will cost SU about $100 million, according to the release. The university estimates the total cost of the renovations to be $205 million.

The renovations are all part of the West Campus Project and the Campus Framework plan. A draft of the framework plan will be shared with the public in early June, according to the release. Chancellor Kent Syverud created the Campus Framework as part of his Fast Forward initiative. It is one of three parts, including an Operational Excellence plan and an Academic Strategic plan.

Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that there’s no specific timeline for the replacement of the Dome roof. He did not immediately return an email regarding the funding of the renovations.

SU had been weighing three options for the Dome after talks to build a downtown stadium in Kennedy Square stalled. In addition to replacing the roof and building a new stadium all together, SU contemplated installing a new roof structure.

The Board of Trustees authorized the university to seek external funding — including private donations, governmental support and other resources — to fund the West Campus Project, according to the release.

The university recently held public meetings about the Campus Framework plans, specifically to discuss the University Place promenade, which faculty created a petition to stop. Construction on the promenade is set to take place this summer.

At a meeting in April, Andrew Elmer, a representative from Kansas City-base architecture firm Populous, presented the firm’s designs for the expansion and renovation of Archbold. The Board of Trustees was expected to make a decision about Archbold renovations at its meeting this month. Elmer listed out the features of each of the renovated complex’s four levels at the public meeting in April.

The complex’s basement would have a multi-purpose group activity space. On the ground level would be split into a two pools — one for instruction and one being a six-lane lap pool — an exercise gym and a pharmacy. The third level would have four basketball courts and the fourth level would have a track and cardio balcony.

SU will launch the second phase of its outreach and engagement effort in the coming weeks and will continue this outreach throughout the fall 2016 semester. These efforts will include a new interactive website and a series of campus dialogue and feedback sessions “to further inform the campus community and create new opportunities for additional conversation and community engagement,” according to the release.