Commencement 2016

Syracuse local businesses prepare for influx of visitors for commencement weekend

Chipotle prepares for a normal busy weekend as commencement ceremonies approach.

Big crowds and long lines are characteristic of game days in Syracuse, and local businesses are gearing up for their own final stretch: commencement weekend.

“It’s definitely the busiest weekend besides opening weekend,” said Jeremy Dann, assistant manager at Varsity Pizza. “We go through so many football and basketball games up here, this is just like that but to a lesser degree.”

Syracuse businesses are preparing for commencement on May 15 by adding extra staff and stocking up on food and merchandise. Many businesses said it’s just like any other busy weekend, but one difference is that this year’s commencement is a week later than normal — the ceremony usually falls on Mother’s Day.

Bill Nester, manager at Manny’s, said he loves when commencement falls on Mother’s Day.

“It’s like an extra gift for mom, to see their kid graduate on Mother’s Day … but it’s just the way the calendar year worked out this year,” Nester, who has worked at Manny’s for 33 years, said.

Steven Papazides, manager at Acropolis Pizza House, said Acropolis had to reschedule employees because they thought commencement would be on Mother’s Day this year.

David Heymann, general manager of the Sheraton University Hotel & Conference Center, said the hotel normally hosts a joint commencement and Mother’s Day brunch, but this year they will be holding two separate brunches.

Despite commencement not falling on a holiday, businesses are still preparing for a busy weekend. The Sheraton, theoretically, would have been sold out for months, Heymann said, but the process of reserving a room is a lottery system.

Dann said Varsity goes through about 100 pizzas by 2 p.m. on a normal business day. But during commencement weekend, Varsity might make up to 200 pizzas.

At Faegan’s Cafe & Pub, Supervisor Bree Adams said they double their staff, usually beginning the week before commencement. Instead of just the usual lunch and dinner waves, there is a steady flow of people coming through, she said.

Josiah Richetti, general manager at Chipotle Mexican Grill, and Lisa Ramirez, general manager at M Street Pizza, said they aren’t doing anything particularly different from normal preparation for a busy day.

Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks and Crowne Plaza Syracuse could not be reached for comment.

Jarred Vryhof, a cook at Funk ’n Waffles on South Crouse Avenue, said he started working during one commencement weekend and there were lines out the door. While Funk ’n Waffles probably won’t be scheduling extra staff, Vryhof said they are working on speeding up the line.

“But we have cut our times down like quite a bit from then, so hopefully we will be able to get it sped up and get people in here fed as quick as possible for their sake and ours,” Vryhof said.

While many businesses said they are maintaining regular prices and aren’t holding any special promotions, Erik Hicks, manager at J Michael Shoes, said they are holding a storewide 20 percent off sale. Ramirez said M Street Pizza is offering $12.99 20-inch pizzas.

Heymann said the Sheraton will be offering a small reception and an arrival gift for guests, and will be providing shuttles to the Carrier Dome for commencement.

Nester said Manny’s is bringing in spring merchandise, such as tank tops, shorts and alumni gear.

Papazides said commencement often brings back alumni to Acropolis, which is fun for him. They always ask for the pizza.

“They’ll live their lives for five years or so, then all of a sudden they’ll remember ‘Hey, why don’t we go see a good basketball game or a good football game?’” Papazides said. “And then they come in and it’s like ‘Oh…’ You feel like you’re in the old neighborhood, you know what I mean.”

For the students graduating and leaving Syracuse University, it’s a bittersweet goodbye. Tiffany Bloomingdale, co-manager at Cafe Kubal, said some of their regulars stop by for coffee as they head for their next destination.

“I’m thinking about last year. We had a couple people who, you know, they were heading to the airport or they were heading out of town, and they came in for coffee,” Bloomingdale said. “On their last (day), you know? It was really sweet.”