3rd Syracuse football player reportedly defended teammates during alleged stabbing incident

Courtesy of Syracuse Police Department

Former Syracuse football player Naesean Howard allegedly stabbed two of his ex-teammates in April.

A Syracuse football player punched Naesean Howard as Howard allegedly stabbed Chauncey Scissum at a South Campus party last month, possibly saving Scissum’s life, according to Syracuse.com.

Howard had already stabbed cornerback Corey Winfield several times, according to police. Scissum, who had his arm in a sling, couldn’t defend himself and that’s when the third player knocked Howard to the ground at the outdoor barbecue on April 16. Assistant district attorney Mike Manfredi declined to name the player who punched Howard and said no one sustained any injuries after Howard was punched, per the report.

“This individual did something that was very heroic given the dangerousness and volatility of the situation,” Manfredi told Syracuse.com. “Nobody was ready for this, and he was the only one who acted in a way to defend his fellow player.”

The stabbing hospitalized both Winfield and Scissum, both current defensive backs on SU’s football team, while Howard, an ex-Syracuse football player, was charged with first-degree assault, which could result in up to 25 years in prison if he’s convicted. He pleaded not guilty and was ordered to take a mental health exam.

Howard’s next court date is June 24, according to Syracuse.com.