Syracuse University community commemorates life of late student Hongming Cao

Hongming “Jason” Cao will be remembered for his smile, humor and wisdom.

A memorial service was held Thursday at Hendricks Chapel in celebration of the life of Cao, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse University. Cao died on April 19 — two days before his 22nd birthday — in his home in Shenzhen, China, after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.

As friends and SU faculty members filtered into Hendricks for the ceremony, they piled white and yellow flowers on an alter beside cards, a candle and a photo of Cao.

The service was filmed to be sent to Cao’s parents in China and was translated between English and Chinese by Chung-Chin Liu, an assistant economics professor at SU.

Kandice Salomone, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, spoke about how the loss of Cao affects the SU community.

“He was a cherished member of our extended family,” Salomone said. “He is Orange now and will be Orange forever. This is something we all share with Hongming.”

Liu, Cao’s adviser during his freshman and sophomore years and his economics professor, mentioned Cao’s fashion sense and referred to him as a “warrior in life.”

“He was determined not to let his illness hamper his educational pursuit,” Liu said. “His sincere commitment to life deserves our respect and admiration.”

Liu said this experience has left him with a more profound appreciation for his family and friends, and made him realize the importance of a meaningful, purpose-driven life. He told Cao’s parents that their son made him proud and thanked God for allowing the SU community to know him as a student and as a friend.

A slideshow played with photos and videos of Cao with friends. Audio messages from his friends were heard in the background of the slideshow. Three of Cao’s friends spoke during the service.

Chong Dong, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he misses Cao’s jokes and shared a few of his quotes.

“You told me, ‘Without a storm, how do we see the rainbow?’” Dong said. “And ‘if you have a tough life, once you land in your destination, you find happiness.’”

Dong said Cao was there for him during a dark time and after a heart-to-heart conversation, he learned a lot from Cao.

Zhijie Zhao, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, recalled that 19 months ago, he sat in the back row of Hendricks with Cao and that on Thursday, he returned to pay tribute to him.

Zhao shared a story from the bedside of Cao’s hospital bed, when Cao, with his speech mumbled, asked to hear the song “Unspeakable Secret.”

“We shall be brothers again in the next life,” Zhao said before “Unspeakable Secret” began to play.

Patricia Burak, director of the Slutzker Center for International Services, shared Chinese proverbs about friendship and emphasized Cao’s love of nature, his parents and his life.

“Hongming will be eternal in our memory and in our Orange spirit,” Burak said.