Mayfest 2016

Riley: Vince Staples’s mom shoutout and other Mayfest highlights

Not rained out

It was rainy and gross, but it was still lit. Although the weather wasn’t totally choice — buckets of freezing cold awful dumping from the heavens will do that — the crowds rallied. The turnout was great, everyone was well-dressed in their best festival clothing and we partied like the sun was shining.

Cover up

Sometimes a killer cover is the key to knocking a set out of the park, and Public made it so with an electric cover of Britney Spear’s “Toxic.” The lead singer, John Vaughn, dedicated to the song to all the ladies in the crowd. They were pretty pleased.

Kids these days

Louis The Child is really young. Like, really, really young. Both musicians are actually college-aged which makes their success all the more meaningful, although for this concert only Freddy Kennett was available to perform. From the Governor’s Ball to Coachella, the DJ duo has had incredible success. It looks like the rest of us have some catching up to do.

Motherly love

Vince Staples loves his mom. Reminding the audience to remember to respect their mother throughout the set, Staples ended with these words of wisdom: “Stay in school. Don’t do drugs. Make your mother proud and love you.” We love our moms too, Staples.

Staff shoutout

The staff that helps run Mayfest deserve a huge thank you. Whether it was the people helping pick up, the nice ladies serving the food, or the officers making sure everyone was safe and having a good time, it takes a complete village to run Mayfest successfully. The Syracuse University community appreciates it.