Mayfest 2016

5 things to know about Vince Staples

Courtesy of University Union

Fresh off his performance at Coachella, Vince Staples will perform in Walnut Park for this year's Mayfest.

California based hip hop artist Vince Staples will perform at this years Mayfest according to a University Union press release. Staples will perform alongside electronic music duo, Louis The Child, and pop/rock trio PUBLIC.

The three music acts will perform in Walnut Park at 1 p.m. April 29.Entry is free for undergraduates with a valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID. Here are five things to know about Vince Staples before you go.

1. You may not have made it to Coachella, but Staples did

The artist took to the stage in the Sahara tent at the festival on April 16. Staples entertained the crowds with a number of his hits including songs from his LP “Summertime ’06,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

2. #Kanye2020

In a 2015 interview with GQ magazine, Staples admitted he had never voted before. He also said he had never bought a CD before “College Dropout.” Staples said that instead of fighting wars, Kanye would play concerts in North Korea.

“If you’re a rapper in 2017 and you don’t have some sort of allegiance with the Kardashian family, I don’t really know how you’re trajectory is going,” Staples said in the interview. “I would love to be a Kardashian.”

3. He’s straightedge

Staples doesn’t drink or do drugs.

“I didn’t want to be in any shape or form altered, especially with the shit I was doing when I was younger. I don’t have a problem knowing how fucked up everything is. I never wanna be in the dark about anything,” Staples said in an interview with LA Weekly.

4. He is one third of a music group

Staples is a member of the hip hop group Cutthroat Boyz along with Joey Fatts and A$ton Matthews. The three have collaborated on music together, with Staples and A$ton featuring on Fatts’ mixtape.

5. Staples has collaborated with a lot of artists

Spanning across three mixtapes, an EP and a full album, Staples has collaborated with names such as Mac Miller, Earl Sweatshirt, No ID, Ab-Soul and Juice Jam 2014 artist Schoolboy Q.