Editorial Board

New York ‘minimum wage challenge’ is problematic, unrealistic

The “minimum wage challenge” taking place across New York state this week is a misguided attempt to understand the experiences of people living on minimum wage.

The challenge is being organized by the Service Employees International Union in support of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s proposal to gradually raise the minimum wage from $9 to $15, according to Syracuse.com. The project comes after Cuomo visited Solavy, a suburb of Syracuse, last week to garner support for the measure as a part of the 2016-17 state budget, which will be voted on by April.

Twenty-five local politicians and community members — including Syracuse City Councilor Helen Hudson; Democratic congressional candidates Colleen Deacon, a Syracuse University alumna; and Eric Kingson, an SU professor — pledged Sunday to try to survive on $9 per hour for five days, beginning Monday while documenting the purchases they cannot afford on social media.

Although the simulation challenge may have been thought of with good intentions, its execution fails to take into consideration that it is inherently insensitive to demonstrate support for Cuomo’s minimum wage legislation with a halfhearted effort from a place of privilege. The combination of showcasing the experience on social media and the unrealistic approach in an attempt to empathize with minimum wage workers proves self-serving rather than in the best interest of the community.

The challenge’s initial budget of $360 falls to $263 after taxes, housing and utilities, leaving participants with only $97 left to spend on food, transportation and any additional expenses for the week. As reported by Syracuse.com, the community members agreed to shop for groceries as if they can only afford what minimum wage workers can buy, limit their total expenses to $19 per day and take public transportation to work at least once.

And while inevitable, the exclusion of necessary bills for personal vehicles, credit cards or child care from the challenge reflect the fact that the project is unrealistic in contrast to a very grim reality for many New Yorkers. The inaccuracies are reflected by the fact that participants may begin the challenge with a full tank of gas or a home with paid utilities. This creates a distorted view of what it’s really like to live on a minimum-wage budget.

There is nothing wrong with genuinely attempting to be a more informed supporter of minimum wage legislation by placing yourself in the shoes of another person. But the fact of the matter is that taking part in what appears as a PR-driven tactic is distasteful and equally impractical when drawing attention to the self is not an essential part of supporting a higher minimum wage.

Many New Yorkers are living on a minimum wage income each day without recognition. So rather than document their experiences for public display, those who take part in the project should focus on using what they learn to make an impact where it matters most  to be a more insightful voice in political discussion, rather than having validation from others for good deeds.