Ice Hockey

Syracuse beats Penn State for 3rd straight win, its longest win streak of the season

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse beat Penn State 2-1 on Saturday for its third straight win.

Syracuse (14-13-3, 10-4-2 College Hockey America) defeated Penn State (9-16-5, 5-6-5) 2-1 to sweep a back-to-back series against the Nittany Lions in University Park, Pennsylvania on Saturday. It was Syracuse’s first back-to-back series win and helped Syracuse reach its longest win streak of the year at three straight games.

Syracuse got out to a quick start with a goal 56 seconds in by forward Emily Costales. Stephanie Grossi and Alysha Burriss assisted on Costales’ ninth goal of the season.

Syracuse held a 1-0 lead until midway through the second period. At the 10:13 mark of the second, the Nittany Lions would tie the score at one on a power-play goal by Laura Bowman.

Defender Megan Quinn broke the tie two minutes later and scored her sixth goal of season, assisted by Jessica Sibley and Nicole Ferrara. The goal was her first since Jan. 4 and her fourth point in two games.

Syracuse outshot the Nittany Lions 23-20 and Jenn Gilligan continued her strong play in net with 19 saves.

Penn State has now lost two games in a row after not losing at home since Nov. 6 against CHA power Mercyhurst.

Syracuse continues CHA play on Friday when it returns home to Tennity Ice Pavilion to face Robert Morris (14-11-5, 6-6-4).