Work Wednesday

SU students work for University Union to bring acts to campus

Eddie Natal | Staff Photographer

Lexi Kroll and Chrysann Panos bring acts like Jim Gaffigan and Kevin Hart to campus.

In recent years, Syracuse University has had Jim Gaffigan, Kevin Hart and Adam DeVine come to entertain students. Lexi Kroll and Chrysann Panos, juniors who work for University Union, are the people who get these celebrities to come here.

University Union, the official programming board of SU, hosts concerts, cinema screenings, comedians and speakers designed to pique student interest. As performing arts co-directors for UU, Kroll, a television, radio and film major and Panos, a public relations major, gather student opinions to decide who will visit and entertain audiences.

Each year, surveys are sent out to random students, gauging what acts students want to see. From there, Kroll and Panos contact agencies in Los Angeles and New York City to find relevant acts who are available and within their budget. They then deal with agents, attend budget meetings and handle offers and contracts to confirm an act.

Kroll said her work with UU has positively affected her interactions with both the campus community and the entertainment industry, especially on the day when it all comes together.

“I like standing at the back of Goldstein Auditorium and seeing a sold-out show,” Kroll said. “The vibe of the room on day of show is probably the best thing.”

Both Kroll and Panos strive to work with any feedback they receive, while also finding acts that appeal to as large an audience as possible. Panos said her time with UU has introduced her to new acts and shown her how diverse the campus is.

Last semester, UU worked to bring Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of “Broad City” to campus for a Q&A discussion. Kroll, a fan of female-driven comedy, said this event was one of her favorites.

“They’re like my two idols,” she said. “And the fact that we could get these two girls from such a hit show, ‘Broad City,’ to do an interview was spectacular.”

Coming together to work for UU has been a turning point in Panos and Krolls’ college experience, Panos said in an email.

“The PA directors my freshman year were so welcoming, and I ended up working the ‘Girls of SNL’ show my first semester,” Panos said. “After crying from laughing so hard, there was no going back.”

dbertoli@syr.edu