Editorial Board

Recognition of research at Syracuse University highlights Chancellor Kent Syverud’s efforts

The Daily Orange Editorial Board argues Chancellor Kent Syverud should be commended for leading Syracuse University in becoming a top tier research institution.

Chancellor Kent Syverud should be commended for leading Syracuse University in becoming a top tier research institution on a national basis, securing a goal he set in place during his inaugural address less than two years ago.

Following an assessment of its research activity, SU was named in the leading classification for its research endeavors among all doctoral universities in the United States, according to the recently released 2015 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Syracuse was one of 15 universities nationwide to move from R2 into the top category, which consists of 115 institutions, in the latest rankings.

The appointment of SU to the top category is not without standing, considering the forward-looking outcome of the report is the result of Syverud’s objectives to make SU more research-focused, which has been realized through expansive research and the creation of opportunities for engagement with faculty.

The fact that the university has made its mark as one of the top research institutions in the United States casts SU in a positive light for both current and prospective students. These rankings, which are highly regarded by administrators and some members of the student body, transcend the classroom to play a larger role in student and academic life on campus.

Because the buzzwords “research institution” are vaguely riddled throughout university discourse, having SU earn this recognition in the form of a tangible accomplishment — one that is often minimized to a talking point — poses as a testament to the university’s status in the landscape of higher education.

This, in turn, supports a collaborative campus culture in which enrolled students can be inspired to conduct research of their own — particularly in STEM fields — and have the appropriate resources readily available to them. This same opportunity would prove to be a key drawing point among new students as well in providing a verified avenue to push the boundaries of an area of study through research.

Although The Daily Orange Editorial Board acknowledges that there are more than 100 other schools in the same competitive tier as SU, as selected by Carnegie Classification analytics, it is the local implications of the recognition that are a defining characteristic of where the university stands now and where it is headed.

SU’s success in being named an accomplished research-based institution makes it clear that progress has been made and promises have been kept. But rather than peak and remain stagnant, this recognition should reiterate that Syverud’s proposal, execution and success in his efforts to bring increased prestige to Syracuse University is a fundamental example that it is possible for the administration to come powerfully full circle in its proposals to show substantial results.