Week in Politics

Catch up on the week in city and state politics

Sen. Charles Schumer discusses student loans in front of the Hall of Languages. This week, a Syracuse man announced he will run against him.

Here’s what you missed this week in New York state and local politics:

Consensus hears public opinion

Community members voiced their doubts during a public forum run by members of Consensus. The group recently released a report outlining the potential benefits of merging various aspects of Onondaga County and the city of Syracuse.

The meeting specifically addressed infrastructure and public safety measures. Those in attendance questioned whether merging would ultimately benefit the region. They cited potential job loss and uncertainty about interactions between county and city workers as potential pitfalls of the plan.

New York state Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Syracuse University alumna, said she and Gov. Andrew Cuomo support the merger, according to Syracuse.com.

Katko announces stronger fundraising

In the fourth quarter, Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.) has reported higher funds than the Democratic contenders for the 24th Congressional District, some of whom were filing for the first time. He raised $281,414, according to the Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings.

SU alumna Colleen Deacon, a Democrat, raised $131,721 for her first quarter filing. Democrat Eric Kingson, an SU professor, reported raising $45,981 — half of what he raised in the third quarter. The third Democratic candidate, Steve Williams, was also filling for the first time and reported raising $152,320.

3 counties jointly endorse candidates

The Democratic committees of Oswego, Cayuga and Wayne counties gathered on Wednesday night to pick their endorsement for the 24th Congressional District. After hours of debate, they could not choose a single candidate, according to Syracuse.com. They decided to jointly endorse Deacon and Williams after a third ballot.

Kingson came in third. Officials said they feel both Deacon and Williams would perform well against Katko in the election.

Syracuse local announces Senate bid

A U.S. Army veteran and Syracuse local has announced he will run against incumbent Sen. Charles Schumer in November. James LaSpino, 52, said he will run as an independent candidate, according to Syracuse.com.

Schumer is in line to become the Democratic leader in the Senate next year and is considered one of the most powerful members of the Senate. LaSpino said he knows his election is unlikely but finds Schumer’s views to be radical.

Cuomo announces cutting-edge SUNY Albany campus

Cuomo has announced a $184 million investment into a new Emerging Technology and Entrepreneurship Complex. The building will house the State University at New York University at Albany’s College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity, as well as the New York State Mesonet and other offices.

It will be built on the Harriman Campus, on which multiple New York state government building currently reside, according to a press release. It will be funded from grants currently allotted for the state government and campus-allocated funds.