From the Calendar

Caribbean Cinematic Festival to take place this weekend

Graphic Illustration by Devyn Passaretti

Though called the Caribbean Cinematic Festival, the event taking place at the Community Folk Art Center in Syracuse this weekend will feature films from around the world.

Films will come from as far as Venezuela, Guadeloupe and the United Kingdom, and dialogue will be spoken in languages such as Spanish and a Creole language, Papiamento. But despite their diverse homelands, these films all retain their focus on Caribbean culture and identity.

The Community Folk Art Center’s fifth annual Caribbean Cinematic Festival will start today and last through Sunday. Along with the nine feature films, there will be a variety of other cultural events including dance and spoken word performances, post-film discussions, and even an authentic Caribbean brunch.

Tamar Smithers, director of education at the Community Folk Art Center, said the wide array of films and discussions covers topics from the African diaspora to issues in the Caribbean itself.

“We are going to be celebrating via film,” Smithers said.

Each year, a committee made up of both Syracuse scholars and people in the area come together to decide on a theme for the festival and how to expand upon the year before.

This year, Cecilia Green, an associate professor of sociology at Syracuse University, is part of that committee. Contrasting with past years, this committee really focused on including more female-led films, Green said.

This year’s female-focused festival is important to Green not only because she is from the Caribbean herself, but because she specializes in race, class and gender studies within her sociology field.

“We didn’t exactly succeed, but aimed for a balance of female directors and producers,” Green said.

The Caribbean Cinematic Festival’s final day will add another new focus to the lineup by featuring animated short films, Smithers said.

And while filmmakers typically hail from around the world, this year’s festival will include a feature from Syracuse filmmaker Thea St. Omer. St. Omer passed away unexpectedly last year, so there will be a tribute before one of her films is shown.

The festival will contain more than just films, though. The Community Folk Art Center is a division of Syracuse University and will incorporate performances from SU dance troupes Kalabash and Raises.

Smithers said she hopes these performances will help bridge the gap between the Syracuse community and the SU campus.

Nicholas George, a member of the Caribbean Students Association at SU, said he hopes the festival will dispel stereotypes about Caribbean culture.

“People see things that are Caribbean-based but don’t understand them. Everyday objects are from Caribbean culture,” George said. “I think this festival will bring positive light to this culture and unite everyone, not just perpetrate stereotypes.”

Sunday’s authentic Caribbean brunch will bring another layer of Caribbean flair to the festival. Catered by local restaurant Jerk Hut, the brunch will feature festival bread, boiled bananas and callaloo, all staples of Caribbean cuisine, Smithers said.

Beyond hosting this festival, the Community Folk Art Center serves as a multidisciplinary art center. It showcases between four and six art exhibits a year in its gallery and provides art classes for middle school-aged children, among other things.

“I’m very excited, not only for the increased attendance but just for everyone to experience it,” Smithers said. “So many people may not usually have the opportunity to experience other cultures and enjoy it.”