Tennis

Anna Shkudun adjusts to college game and leadership position as 1st-year grad student

Before the No. 1 doubles match got underway on Sunday against Cornell, Valeria Salazar and Anna Shkudun approached the net for the usual pregame formalities.

Shkudun, a first-year graduate student from Energodar, Ukraine, was in constant motion. From the moment she approached the net until she returned to the baseline, Shkudun jostled and bounced, her eyes focused intently on the chair umpire giving his monologue.

The contrast between Shkudun and the three players that stood still while she hopped at the net is apparent in more than just a pregame habit. She said she played 10 years on the European pro circuit before her arrival on campus this fall and bolsters far more professional experience than her counterparts and teammates. While on tour she honed a powerful game that catapulted her into the top doubles and singles spots at SU, and a No. 37 NCAA Women’s Division I singles ranking.

The heavy pace on Shkudun’s groundstrokes was a key difference in her and Salazar’s win against Cornell, a 7-5 slugfest that clinched the doubles point for SU in dramatic fashion. Shkudun stayed back and used her power to close points and force returns to Salazar at net, one of which Salazar drove for a cross-court winner on match point.

“(Anna) has been in those situations,” said head coach Younes Limam after the meet. “She played at a high level before college and she did what she usually did … She played smart.”

Shkudun became the first Syracuse tennis player since 1993 to win the ITA Northeast Indoor Regional this fall, and is off to a 3-0 start in the spring singles season.

However, life in college was an adjustment for the former pro.

“It was a really big difference in the rhythm of life,” said Shkudun. “At first I struggled to get used to it … but now I’m getting into it, especially with study.”

Shkudun found the support she needed to find her comfort zone from her teammates, many of whom are first-year students as well. The common grounds Shkudun and the freshman class share have contributed to a distinct team dynamic.

Knutson, another power driven player, takes careful note of Shkudun, drawing insight from her play and strength from her vocal presence on the court.

“(Anna) is kind of like a freshman,” said Shkudun’s freshman teammate Gabriela Knutson. “… We have a very similar game … I always try to make use of her energy and bring it to my game.”

Shkudun pumped her fist and let out a yell when Salazar’s final slam secured SU the doubles point in front of a Drumlins Country Club crowd that came together in an uproar over the decisive play.

The two partners returned to the net for their postgame handshake and hardly had a moment to catch their breath before the rest of their teammates mobbed them at the courtside bench.

A moment made possible by Shkudun’s leap of faith into an atmosphere unlike any other she’s played in before.

“Maybe I have to go and try something new,” said Shkudun of her thought process before deciding to leave the pro circuit behind. “I’m pretty sure I (made) a good decision.”