4 DPS shotguns have been missing since October after falling out of truck

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado (left) said an extensive search for the four missing shotguns was conducted throughout the rural area where they were lost, but they could not be found.

Four Syracuse University Department of Public Safety shotguns are missing more than three months after falling out of a DPS truck following a training exercise, New York State Police told CNYCentral.

On Oct. 16, 2015, when DPS officers had completed their annual certification at the Elbridge Rod and Gun Club in Elbridge, New York, they put two cases holding four unloaded 12 gauge shotguns — similar to waterfowl guns — in the back of a truck, according to a statement from DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado.

The officers then went to lunch at Tres Primos restaurant in Elbridge, according to the article. After they parked the truck, one of the officers noticed that the truck’s tailgate had fallen down and the four shotguns were missing.

The DPS officers went to the New York State Police barracks in Elbridge to report that the guns had been lost, according to the article.

State Police spokesman Jack Keller said in the article that the DPS officers and state police officers retraced the truck’s route but were not able to find the four shotguns.

Maldonado said an extensive search of the route was done with a canvasing of houses in the rural area of the incident.

“The university and DPS takes this matter very seriously,” Maldonado said. “An internal investigation and review was immediately conducted, resulting in disciplinary action imposed on the officer responsible for securing the firearms.”

Maldonado added that DPS reviewed relevant protocols to ensure the firearms transportation and storage procedures and practices are “as strong and comprehensive as possible.”

Keller said in the article that state police have conducted several interviews and the situation is being considered an open investigation. He added that the shotguns’ serial numbers have been entered into a state database to help identify them if they are recovered.

Hannah Warren, public information officer for DPS, declined to comment on the situation. Kevin Quinn, senior vice president of public affairs at SU, was not immediately available for comment.