Editorial Board

Diversity discussions lack participation from SU community despite calls for increased dialogue opportunities

In response to criticisms pertaining to lapses in transparency and inclusivity, Syracuse University is offering viable ways for students, staff and faculty to constructively engage in diversity-specific dialogue. But the campus community remains unreceptive.

Nearly 140 people participated last semester in Conversations about Race and Ethnicity (CARE), a six-week dialogue program meant to spark discussion on related issues facing the SU community. Although the program is free, accessible and organized to promote discourse inspired by current events, only about 50 people registered to take part in the program this semester.

The consistent lack of interest and participation in these discursive spaces on behalf of the university community is hypocritical when placed in the context of university affairs. While it is the responsibility of the administration to respond to concerns expressed by the community and provide outlets for discussion, it is ultimately up to the students, staff and faculty at SU to take advantage of these opportunities.

The low CARE registration numbers come soon after an 18-day sit-in at Crouse-Hinds Hall in fall 2014 when THE General Body presented a 45-page list of grievances and demands to the administration, which included a call for more dialogue spaces.

This trend is also supplemented by the fact that only about 150 members of the SU community –  which makes close to .0056 percent of the total university population based on fall 2014 data – attended a listening session hosted by the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion in December 2015.

Although minimal promotion is often cited as a failure on behalf of the administration in garnering university feedback and support, even that argument lacks validity in this case. University-wide emails from both the Division of Student Affairs and Chancellor Kent Syverud have offered clear invitations for commentary and updates for those who took the time to read them.

Students, staff and faculty are not at all obligated to partake in these forums. However, moving forward, it sets a distinct standard: why should the university administration respond to grievances if the campus community will not make the effort to meet them halfway when prompted?

The administration has done its part in creating tangible opportunities to enhance the discussion of diversity, inclusivity and transparency on the Syracuse University campus, a conversation that some have argued has been sidelined for far too long. But if students expect their voices to be heard, they have to be present.