Letters to the Editor

Graduate student discusses broader implications of police misconduct

The dashcam footage that lead to the arrest of the police officer that killed Laquan McDonald last year did far more than reveal the sequence of events — it exposed a reality that poses a serious threat to democracy. Perhaps just as important as the racial component, the implications of this dimension of police misconduct is seldom discussed, if at all.

A polity is only as democratic as the institutions on which it is founded, the extent to which they promote and safeguard individual rights, their level of operational transparency, and the degree to which they can be held accountable to the public they serve. Above all, it is those institutions that wield the authority to use deadly force that must be held to the highest standards in these regards. As has been revealed on numerous occasions, however, it is these very institutions — our law enforcement agencies — that appear increasingly to be in conflict with these tenets.

In this most recent case, the dashcam footage has not only brought to light the unwarranted shooting of McDonald, its existence has uncovered the lengths to which the Chicago Police Department and city officials have gone to circumvent transparency and avoid accountability, all at the expense of promoting and safeguarding the rights of their constituents.

Not only did the officers on the scene lie about what led to the shooting, they destroyed evidence. Rather than hold these officers accountable, the department, in conjunction with city officials, attempted to suppress the truth for over a year, with charges pressed only days before the film’s court-ordered release. Such behavior not only betrays the public’s trust, but also tarnishes what is a noble profession and, if left unchecked, will ultimately serve as an indictment of American democracy.

Contrary to what some may argue — that justice will eventually be served — fortuitously in this instance, is not emblematic of a system that works but rather the opposite — it proves that the system is broken, for if the system functioned as intended, justice would not have been impeded for so long.

To demand accountability and transparency in law enforcement is not solely the burden of the black community, but the obligation of everyone who values the central tenets of democracy. This includes the vast majority of police officers who perform their duties responsibly and with integrity, if for no other reason than to maintain their own reputation.

Saied Toossi
First year PhD Candidate, Department of Public Administration and International Affairs