Officials call upon state to increase funding to Department of Transportation

Emma Wishnow | Staff Photographer

Stephanie Miner, mayor of the city of Syracuse, spoke about increasing funding to the New York State Department of Transportation at a Nov. 18 press conference for the Rebuild New York Now coalition, which seeks to promote awareness about the issues affecting infrastructure in New York state.

Mayor Stephanie Miner and the Rebuild New York Now coalition have teamed up to call on state leaders to increase funding for the New York State Department of Transportation in order to spearhead new projects.

Miner joined the coalition for a news conference at the City of Syracuse Department of Public Works on Nov. 18 and called on both Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the New York Legislature to increase spending in the NYSDOT, and to veto any legislation that does not give equally to all parts of the state.

Miner said New York should commit as much money for statewide transportation projects as it is pledging for downstate public transit. According to the Associated Press, aging cities like Syracuse need more help to maintain bridges and other infrastructure.

Cuomo’s 2015 budget has designated $1 billion for updating roads and bridges across the state, according to the Associated Press, but transportation departments downstate are receiving much more funding to improve their infrastructure.

For example, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which services New York City and surrounding areas including Long Island, has received more than $8 billion for system infrastructure upgrades, according to a press release from the Office of the Mayor.

“It’s a very important issue, and the notion that we are going to be investing so much money downstate to address their transit issues, but yet not have a comprehensive plan to address our issues upstate is unacceptable to me,” said New York state Sen. Fred Akshar at the press conference.

Akshar is one of the senators supporting an increase in funding for the NYSDOT. Akshar said at the press conference that more than $6 billion has been raised from the annual New York gas tax. He added that he thinks all that money should be given to the NYSDOT, rather than Cuomo’s current budget of $1 billion.

“Upstate gets short-changed enough. Our bridges and roads are just as important as New York City’s,” Akshar said. “I want the governor and my colleagues in the legislature to understand our issues in upstate, and that’s my intention during the next session.”

More than 6,000 bridges and over 60 percent of New York roadways need repairs, Akshar said.

New York state Sen. Marty Golden said at the press conference that he believes there will be a plan that is “acceptable for roads and bridges as well as the MTA,” and added that his concern is how this plan will be paid for.

Rebuild New York Now is hoping for the same level of investment that the state government gave the MTA. After the press conference, Rebuild New York has called on Republicans in the state government to veto this plan until there is “upstate parity,” according to the coalition’s website. Most Republicans in the state Senate come from the upstate area.

“Historically, if there’s not parity, the Senate has vetoed it,” said Mike Elmendorf, executive director of the Associated General Contractors and a leader of the coalition, in an interview. “It doesn’t mean you’re not going to have an MTA plan, but it’s drawing lines and stating priorities.”