Syracuse among U.S. cities to end veteran homelessness

Syracuse has been added to a list of cities that have eradicated veteran homelessness.

On Veterans Day, the city, along with Las Vegas and Schenectady, New York, announced that they have ended veteran homelessness in their respective cities. The state of Virginia also announced that it has ended veteran homelessness statewide.

In 2010, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs launched the End Veteran Homelessness Initiative, which aims to completely end homelessness for veterans by the end of 2015. The initiative, which is also known as “Opening Doors,” has strived to provide permanent housing to current homeless veterans and maintain housing for at-risk veterans. So far, the number of homeless veterans has fallen 36 percent between 2010 and early 2015, according to a national survey by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

“It’s great to see these initiatives come out of the hard work everyone has done,” said Lisa DeJonge, director of communities of practice for the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University. “It’s amazing that the community of Syracuse has really come together.”

DeJonge said it has taken the U.S. five years to get to this point, but added that the country is starting to make a “huge dent” in the veteran homeless population.

From the initial budget of $89 million, the project has “doubled over” in programs every year, and costs this year are upward of $600 million, DeJonge said.

“Opening Doors” gives five plans of action to combat veteran homelessness: provide affordable housing, provide permanent supportive housing, increase meaningful and sustainable employment, reduce financial vulnerability and transform the homeless crises response system, according to the initiative’s website.

One of the most recently built housing units for veterans is VanKeuren Square, an $11.5 million, 50-unit apartment complex on 2223 E. Genesee St. The building, which is home to 46 one-bedroom units and four two-bedroom units, has won awards for its energy-efficient design. Amenities include a Veterans Affairs office on the ground level, a community center, a gym and an outdoor patio, a spokesperson from the Housing Visions Office said.

Syracuse was also able to set up a system that identified and placed homeless veterans in the housing complex in just 45 days, which led to a national recognition from the White House, according to a Syracuse.com article.

“We get them off the street almost immediately and get them into a temporary shelter and then extended shelter,” Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner said during a press conference, according to the article. “The hard part is identifying them and getting them off the streets. You can’t just step in and offer them an apartment or bed.”

In addition, Syracuse has had help from various nonprofits in the area to get veterans off the streets, the Housing Visions spokesperson said. In addition to providing housing, that nonprofit is currently working toward helping veterans maintain their employment, the spokesperson added.

Though the current plan is “really good” and “will work in the long term” for future homeless veterans in Syracuse, DeJonge said she sees some potential weaknesses in the current legislation. She added that there “are still a lot of kinks that still need to be worked out when it comes to community planning.”

There were many systems previously in place that had to be adjusted with the implementation of the new plan, DeJonge said.

“Communities are working together now, not really fighting over resources and clients,” DeJonge said. “It’s not about doing it on your own; it’s who has the resources, who is most equipped to help the veteran.”

In the future, DeJonge said she hopes the government can collaborate with nonprofits to stop veteran homelessness before it occurs. As a veteran herself, DeJonge said the human aspect takes priority over any logistics.

“Now that there’s a community plan in place, there is going to be work on forecasting for the future,” she said. “Preventing homelessness before it happens.”