Veteran-Focused Medical School

SU proposes creation of National Veterans Resource Complex, would serve as hub for veterans services

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks at SU in March. In the section of the report devoted to the creation of the NVRC, Carter is quoted about what makes SU a special places for veterans.

Syracuse University is proposing the creation of a National Veterans Resource Complex to help “solidify” central New York as the “hub” of research and programming connected to veterans and military affairs.

A 107-page report filed on Oct. 23 to Chancellor Kent Syverud as part of SU’s idea of a veteran-focused medical school discussed the creation of the complex, which would serve as the center of veteran life on the SU campus, according to the report, which was obtained by The Daily Orange.

The idea for the hub, which would serve as the center of veteran life on the SU campus, is mentioned in the report.

Veteran Grapic - Complex1

Chloe Meister | Presentation Director

The NVRC, which is discussed in the appendix section of the report, would use a public-private sector partnership model, according to the report, meaning that the complex would be a joint effort by both public institutions like the federal government and private institutions like SU. The complex would generate “hundreds of millions of dollars” in economic activity and would create “hundreds of high paying jobs,” according to the report.

The veteran-focused medical school idea would be a potential subcomponent of the NVRC. The school would train doctors and health care professionals to work at the Veterans Administration hospitals across the country. The VA is projecting a shortage of 22,000 doctors over the next 10 to 15 years, according to the report. The students would go to SU tuition-free, similar to the approach used by ROTC, with the funding coming from external sources such as the VA and private donors.

The NVRC would serve as the home of SU’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families, which has grown into one of the best institutes for veterans in the U.S. and is the crown jewel of SU’s efforts to help veterans. Over a three-week stretch earlier this year, the institute received a total of $8.5 million in funding from three companies.

According to recent project descriptions from the Central New York Regional Economic Development Councils, the Veterans Resource Complex would be housed at 111 Waverly Ave., which is the current home of SU Health Services. The location would be renovated into a “state-of-the-art, multi-use” complex.

The project would be a university-community collaboration, according to the description. The grant amount requested to the CNY Regional Economic Development Councils was $2 million, according to the description. The total project cost is estimated at $62.5 million, according to the SU faculty committee report.

The NVRC would include a regional student veterans’ resource center, which would serve as a “one-stop-shop” supporting the needs of veterans, according to the report. It would also include a conference center and a 1,000-seat auditorium, according to the report. The complex would have eight tenants, according to the report, including the IVMF and SU’s Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

The NVRC would generate more than $300 million in regional economic activity over the next five years, according to the report, and projects to also increase occupancy rates in central New York hotels and lodging facilities.

It is unclear what the exact timetable is for the installation of the NVRC.

Faculty Advisory Committee Final Report