Paris Attacks

SU community members hold candlelight vigil at Hendricks Chapel

Sara Swann | Asst. News Editor

Members of the SU community gathered Monday at Hendricks Chapel to honor those affected by recent international terrorist attacks.

Two students wrote a message — in English and Hebrew — with blue chalk on the sidewalk in front of Hendricks Chapel: “Peace to everyone.”

Some students wrote messages to honor the lives lost in the recent terrorist attacks in Paris and Beirut, while others wrote messages of support to those who were affected by the attacks. About 200 students gathered on Monday afternoon in front of Hendricks to reflect on the recent tragedies in France, Lebanon, Russia, Syria, Egypt, Iraq and Kenya, among other countries.

Red, black and white ribbons and candles were handed out to the crowd before readings of hope and peace in various languages and faiths began.

“We can choose to be lights and not be overcome by darkness,” said Jay Koshy, Evangelical Christian chaplain for Hendricks.

Readings from the Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Pagan faiths were shared during the vigil. Student Association President Aysha Seedat contributed to the readings for the Muslim faith.

Devon Bartholomew, assistant to the Baptist chaplain for student programming, spoke after the readings and said that everyone at SU came to the university for one reason: because they all saw a future here.

“We all have this in common — that we’ve come together to add value to this world,” Bartholomew said.

At about 4:57 p.m. those in attendance began to light their candles with the help of their neighbors. Once all the candles were lit, members of the SU community gathered on the steps of Hendricks for a moment of silence and a prayer.

At the end of the vigil, community members were encouraged to light a candle or put a picture of a candle in their window to remember those who have been impacted by these tragedies around the world.

“Let us not forget them. Let us stand together in resolve to bring about peace and hope to those around us,” Koshy said. “Each one of you can make a difference for good and peace in our world. May you go with hope and peace in your hearts.”